Overlap Sheet Smart Siding

Old 05-26-17, 07:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overlap Sheet Smart Siding

I see now a days they overlap the upper piece of siding over the 4x8 sheet lower piece. How is this done? Do you use OSB as a filler? Thanks.

Old 05-26-17, 07:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Difficult to tell what you mean. Where have you seen this done?

Old 05-27-17, 03:35 PM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Shed

Helped build a shed at our church with 8 foot high side walls. We set the end rafters flush with the outer surface of the wall panels and let the gable panels come down and over-lap the wall panel below. Sheds water and needed no caulking.

Old 05-27-17, 04:49 PM
F
On sheds for sale along the highway and Lowe's. On a 8' high shed, it's no problem. But on a taller shed then you use to use z-channel but that doesn't work, long term. I want to overlap the upper the upper pieces over the lower pieces as my shed is taller than 8'. Thanks.

Old 05-27-17, 05:06 PM
If you are speaking of the gable ends as Ken mentioned, 8' won't be a problem. More than 8', you will need z bar channel at the 8' mark with make up siding to go to the gable. Framing for the gable and roof structure should be brought out 5/8" so the upper gable siding can appear to overlap the lower siding. It won't by much, but enough.

Old 05-27-17, 07:25 PM
F
Smart Siding

I'm doing a replacement job so the frame is in place. Z-Channel is old school as it does not work long term. I'm thinking I need to use a sheet of OSB, another sheet of Smart Siding or some thing of the same thickness then I can install the upper panels of the Smart Siding and overlap it over the lower panels. Take a look at sheds in your travels and you will see many with the upper panels overlapping the lower panels. Thanks.

Old 05-27-17, 07:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You don't need to use a whole sheet. Just use scraps on the frame to shim it out.

When I have seen it overlapped it was just slanted out.

Just looked up what it is.
LP® siding is made from wood particles and wood fibers
Sure sounds like hardboard (AKA Masonite siding) or maybe particle board. Having encountered a lot of hardboard siding I would be hesitant to use it.

Old 05-27-17, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
LP is an engineered oriented strand type of product.

Yes, you can just make a few rips, lay them over the studs on top of the sheathing, (above the siding below) and the pieces above will overlap the way you want.

Old 05-28-17, 04:41 AM
Yep, what Brant said. We weren't given the fact that it was a remodel, and I was under the impression you were building it. Just scrap it out and apply over the scraps. I would go ahead and paint the edges allowing the paint to extend a little onto the body of the back of the board to help keep weeping of water down to a minimum.

Old 05-28-17, 06:56 PM
F
Smart Siding

Got it. That makes sense and saves on cost too. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: