Removing Aluminum siding panels

Old 07-20-17, 07:17 AM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Removing Aluminum siding panels

The a few of the lowest panels on my home are white aluminum and have been damaged from being hit by various things. One panel in particular is about 15 feet long, and it has enough damage to warrant a complete replacement, rather than to use body filler and paint to fix it. It seems to me that these lower panels are like roofing, and that you put the lower panels on first and then overlap them up the wall. How does a pro remove the lowest panel without tearing apart the whole wall?
The house was built in 1963 and I believe the panels were fastend to that cheap interior board, not onto more expensive, thicker panels. In other words the aluminum was original to the house. not added on later.

thanks in advance!

Old 07-20-17, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Aluminum siding is not like vinyl... you cant just take a piece out anywhere. It is nailed with a fin on top and the pieces interlock. So if you want one out you start removing siding at the top and work down to it. You could probably get one out by bending the piece above it but it would be bent permanently.

Old 07-20-17, 06:04 PM
W
Received 41 Upvotes on 37 Posts
removing aluminum siding panels

So if I come up with a way to do this, I can go to the head of the class?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: