waterproofing for siding at ground level

Old 07-29-17, 03:47 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
waterproofing for siding at ground level

the board and batten siding on the side and back of my house does not have clearance from the ground. after 20 years of projects including grading, landscaping, installing more than one French drain, placing berms to block excessive rain water, using sand bags, and most recently installing an outdoor sump pump, it occurs to me: why is it possible for water to pass THROUGH and into my walkout basement. should there be flashing and wrap to prevent water from entering the house despite it's shoddy structure?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-17, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
Hi,

It sounds like you have done a lot to try and solve this problem, and you've had eyes on it a long time. We can't see it as well as you can, but if you could post some pictures we might be able to give some suggestions.

How to insert pictures

We would generally need to see an overview of the entire house in order to see what you see. And then maybe describe exactly where the problem area is. Is it at a corner, or at a door opening, or all across the bottom of the exterior wall, etc.

Old 07-29-17, 06:09 PM
K
Old 07-29-17, 06:17 PM
K
I followed instructions that said it would convert to photo from photobucket address. i'll keep trying

Old 07-29-17, 06:21 PM
K

Old 07-29-17, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a photo from farther back that shows the entire house, it might help. I assume your leak must be behind the AC unit where the cement foundation and framing meet? (To the right of the basement window?)

I guess on that area of siding you have pictured I would question where the top of the foundation ends and where the bottom plate begins.

Old 07-29-17, 06:27 PM
K

Old 07-29-17, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, that last pic that shows the cement patio is likely the problem if it is at the same grade as the interior slab. But you need to tell us where the leak is being noticed in relation to all your pictures.

Old 07-29-17, 06:36 PM
K
sorry, my desktop and I are at snails pace. the main issue is where the siding meets the ground, the close up of me holding up the sump pump cord for viewing. the water enters the walkout basement through this wall and through the wall at patio and door. but the side corner is the biggest issue and i'm not sure if it's a foundation fix or siding fix needed. i'm uploading more distant pics now

Old 07-29-17, 06:42 PM
K

Old 07-29-17, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, so in the pics where you are holding up the cord, if you poke underneath the horizontal trim board, is that cement?

In those areas, you need to lower the grade somehow while still providing slope to the surrounding yard as possible. 1' slope in 10' is recommended. (But not always possible if you are on a flat lot)

On the side with the AC, get up on a step ladder and look at the top edge of the horizontal band board. It could be trapping water and funneling it behind the siding.

Same question with the deck ledger. Is the ledger flashed or is it nailed on top of the siding?

And as far as that patio slab is concerned, I'm pretty sure the slab outside is the same level as the pad inside, so that is always going to be a problem until you tear that pad out and lower it. That's just a bad mistake that can't be fixed with caulk or flashing.

Old 07-29-17, 06:48 PM
K
okay, the main point of entrance for rain water is on the side and back. coming into the walkout basement which IS at same grade as ground, through siding where the board and battens come all the way to the ground between my ac unit and the patio. yes, water will come through under the siding from patio IF it is several inches of water and that's only happened 3 times in 20 years. but the siding meets yard corner is my worst issue. my sump pump was able to accommodate rain until it's a historical flood like we recently had.

Old 07-29-17, 06:54 PM
K
that is a cement slab under the horizontal trim board but hardly an inch worth., there is no subbasement under this room. I believe the water passes through between that slab and the siding, directly onto the inside floor. if the slope to lower grade isn't possible would a gravel trench be better than nothing? and if there is no flashing or wrap under this batten board siding, do I have to remove it to find out and add both? or is there not a way to block water from entering between flooring and siding?

Old 07-29-17, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Your siding "should" lap over the cement about 1". If no water is getting behind the siding, this is 100% a problem with the grade being too high. You will need to do a lot of grading there then. I like to see at LEAST 2" of clear space between any siding and the soil, and most siding mfg's will recommend 6".

I don't know that removing the bottom trim board is the answer. The way it's sided is not good but if you keep it caulked and painted it will shed water.

If it's too flat to get any grade, best thing I could suggest is to excavate a ditch, and put in a french drain, covered with fabric and rock that leads to a dry well and your sump.

Old 07-29-17, 07:09 PM
K
but yes, the deck ledger is flashed and I can get a ladder out tomorrow to check the band board, it was caulked and painted not too long ago but I can check those areas too

Old 07-29-17, 07:12 PM
K
got it! thank you for your help!

Old 07-29-17, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
I also don't see any downspouts anywhere. Do you have gutters? A ton of rain comes off your roof and if it all drains right around the perimeter of the house, it's no wonder you've got problems.

Old 07-31-17, 10:37 AM
K
sorry I missed that last question. I USED TO have a downspout from the gutter at this corner of the house and I removed it and have the downspout located at the other end of house so that's no longer an issue. it was horrible with that downspout making it's contribution in addition to the ground waters. thank you for asking

Old 07-31-17, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
If there are any valleys on the roof, make sure you have deflectors in place to prevent any water from shooting over the gutter. Also ensure you have 3x4 downspouts, not 2x3 downspouts... they will move twice the volume. If your gutters happen to overflow in a heavy rain that wouldn't be good.

And I assume when you removed the downspout the gutter was replaced and it is now pitched the opposite direction?