Minor vinyl siding repairs

Old 09-24-17, 07:54 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Minor vinyl siding repairs

All,

I've been trying to get a contractor to come out and take a look at about 6-8 minor vinyl siding repairs (or what I would have considered minor). I guess it's too small of a job because none have shown interest. How is about 8 years old and we are second owners.

Can anyone provide suggestions on how to DIY tackle the following:

* Removing satellite cable that runs along one side of house. Will be left with about a dozen 1/8" holes. How to seal these holes once removed?
* Sagging vinyl siding underneath lowest course of windows. Siding is beaded and bead is right along the bottom edge of window.
* Vinyl siding loose from j-channel along top of deck.

I've attached pictures of all of the issues in the hopes that it will help.

Attached Images    
Old 09-24-17, 12:29 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
First one is easy, get a exterior caulk, like Quad, that is same color and fill hole and leave a dimple.

Second, is the vinyl tight along the bottom such that it is being forced down in the center? Hard to say from the picture but maybe needs a little trim in the corners?

Third, is the starter loose from the wall? Man need to pull the first row out and reattach starter them reinstall.

Vinyl is tough stuff, it flexes and can be pulled and prodded so do think you will break it.

I would agree, most contractors dont want to deal with these kind of repairs.

Old 09-24-17, 06:22 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Want to do this right, or just patch it up?
Why patch it?
Replace the damaged pieces, a simple 10 min, $10.00 fix.
Someone messed up and built that deck to close to the siding so they had to cut it off at the bottom, that tells me the deck was installed after the siding was installed..
Bet you pull off that siding and there's going to be damage behind it.
They should have at least taken what they cut off and set it inside the J molding, then installed the siding so it was tight against the J.
Your missing the needed undersill molding under that window, also called utility trim, this is a siding 101 issue someone missed.

Old 09-25-17, 04:23 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joecaption
Someone messed up and built that deck to close to the siding so they had to cut it off at the bottom, that tells me the deck was installed after the siding was installed..
Bet you pull off that siding and there's going to be damage behind it.
They should have at least taken what they cut off and set it inside the J molding, then installed the siding so it was tight against the J.
The deck was definitely built before the house was sided (I have pictures of the construction). Most of the siding is within the j-channel, it has just warped a bit and popped out as shown in the picture.

Originally Posted by joecaption
Your missing the needed undersill molding under that window, also called utility trim, this is a siding 101 issue someone missed.
I believe the window has an integrated j-channel (new construction) which avoids the need for any trim around the window, no?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: