Wait for glaze to skin or no?

Old 09-29-17, 03:57 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wait for glaze to skin or no?

I'm in a bind. I have a few old double hung windows I'm restoring. I'm trying to get the glazing done before the cool weather comes and I'm running out of time. I'd really like to be able to continue glazing for as long as possible to complete this room I've been working on seemingly forever. My question is, do I continue with the glazing, then reinstall the double hungs and paint the glazing next season after temps get warmer? The windows will be behind storm windows so they wont be exposed directly to weather. I'm using DAP 33, and the stuff is taking longer than two weeks to skin.

Old 09-29-17, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd give the glazing 24 hrs and then apply an oil base exterior wood primer, another 24 hrs and you can apply a coat of latex house paint.

Old 09-29-17, 04:43 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marksr, I think the missing part was the exterior oil primer..I'm pretty sure I was using a latex exterior and with the glaze not being 100% skinned, I was getting some slight paint cracking in the glazing I was covering..

Old 09-29-17, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
DAP 33 can be pretty oily but there shouldn't be any issues applying an oil base primer over it the next day. You would need to wait until it skins if using a latex primer. I prefer SWP's 66 Glazing as it's not as oily ..... keeps my fingers cleaner

Old 09-29-17, 05:17 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Any brand of glazing compound should tell you what and when to paint the glazing depending on whether you're using latex or oil base. Did you read the can instructions? Of course not!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: