Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Stucco Repair and question about lining foundation with rocks

Old 10-06-17, 01:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone!

I purchased a house 4 years ago and have been doing lots and lots of repair work, and this site has helped me a lot, but i cannot find an answer to this, so its about time i registered!

The stucco all around the my house is cracked and falling off, im assuming because of rainwater, and i would like to add rocks around the perimeter to help protect the stucco repairs that I am doing. Ive dug a 6inch trench to be able to get the stucco all the way to the ground, and was thinking of edging with a 2x4 about 6-8 inches from the walls, and filling the trench with river rocks. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Are there pros and cons? Any feedback is appreciated!

ive attached a photo (is imgur allowed? I hope so!)

https://imgur.com/dpYv6qh

i live in southern California, my house was built in 1960's.

thanks in advance!!
-Justin

Last edited by Mrbungle; 10-06-17 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added link to photo
Old 10-06-17, 02:17 PM
T
Received 51 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Don't put lumber in the ground. It is termite bait. Do the repairs then put the rock in the trench. I think that is a good idea. It might not prevent similar deterioration.A friend who teaches concrete and mix design and related subjects at our university twlls mt there is so much sulfate or is it sulfites? in our soil that it will continue to cause the stucco to deteriorate. I fight it on my house. Some acrylic or latex in the patching material seems to help.

Old 10-06-17, 02:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Awesome thanks for the reply! Im glad this sounds like a good idea. Even if it doesnt prevent further damage, it will at least make repairs in the future easier, and will make it look much nicer than it currently does.

i know doing this type of thing to a brick house is a bad idea, but i couldn't find any info on stucco houses. Thanks so much!

Can i use pressure treated ground contact lumber for the edging? If not i can always get plastic lumber or use bricks for the edging. When i bought the house, one side had rocks with no edging and over the years, the rocks are everywhere now, so id love to find a way to keep them in place.

thanks again!!

Old 10-06-17, 02:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
Not all pressure treated wood is the same, most is not rated for ground contact. You can get ground rated 2x but not every store carries them and they do cost more. Even ground rated PT wood will rot over time when exposed to the earth. That said, I have some PT 2x4 edging in front of my house that has been there for close to 25 yrs. It's still fairly solid but I doubt it has a lot of life left. Plastic or masonry would be worry free!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: