Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Whats the difference between stucco base coat and stucco mix?

Old 11-02-17, 02:17 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I replaced the windows at my house with stucco siding, and need to now patch the stucco around the windows.

When I went to Home Depot, I saw a lot of 80lb bags of stucco "base coat" that cost $5-6.
Fastwall Stucco Base 80 lb. Sanded One Coat
Quikrete 80 lb. Base Coat Stucco

Then there is stucco color coat, that cost $10-15. Not sure what this is

Then there are stucco "mix", that cost much more, $10-20.
Rapid Set 25 lb. Stucco Patch
Rapid Set 50 lb. Stucco Mix
Quikrete 20 lb. FastSet Stucco Patch

Finally, there is pre-mixed concrete patch that cost somewhere in between.
DAP Pre-mixed Concrete Patch

I just want to patch the stucco around my windows. Which one should I buy and whats the difference between these products and why are the prices so varied?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-17, 04:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'm a painter not a mason so take what I say with a grain of salt.
The masons I've worked around all mixed their own stucco and if I'm not mistaken they pretty much used mortar although some would add lime or something to the mix. All the stucco repairs I've made - I just used mortar.

Old 11-02-17, 07:50 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try to find a mix that isn't fast setting. I'm pretty sure that Quickcrete has a mortar/stucco mix. The guys who mix their own have been doing it for years. Fast setting is okay if you can mix & apply it quickly. It will set on you in a few minutes.

Old 11-04-17, 07:57 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
different mixes have different qualities including set time, strength and hardness, texture when applied and color.
Can you show us a picture or two of what you have to fix and we can tell you our best advice.
Offhand I would not advise you to use stuff that comes in a bucket all mixed, that is no need to mix with water. Also quick setting can be troublesome unless you have small patches and can mix small batches to do one patch at a time. Also they might be some prep work that is adbvisable before you just stuff some stucco into a hole. That is why we want a picture.

Old 11-04-17, 08:02 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I have been called a time or two to fix work that was done by an amateur who used some kind of super hard, probably fast setting material that either did not know how to avoid sloppy laps or humps and bumps or else the stuff set before he got it flat and even or cut back for a finish coat. It was hard to charge what it was worth to grind off sloppy work. I avoid the quick setting stuff. I prefer to mix my own material and add an accelerator to control the set to my liking.