Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

I used the wrong fastener for cedar shake siding...what now?

Old 11-21-17, 10:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I need some advice on this "d'oh" moment (although partially Grip-Rite's fault!):

I recently built a small structure on my back deck that is attached to the house. I sided with cedar shakes to match the rest of my house, which were then painted to match the house. Structure is 2x4 construction, 1/2 OSB sheathing, 30# felt paper stapled down, then cedar shakes with an 8" reveal on each course. .

I purchased several boxes of 1-1/2 hot galvanized box nails, the correct fastener for the job. Unfortunately, the boxes were loaded with a different fastener, which must have happened at the Grip-Rite factory somehow. They were loaded with Silver 1-1/4 in. Floor Metal Screw Nails. I was stupid enough not to realize the difference when I started nailing the cedar shingles to the siding and didn't realize my mistake until after I had finished. Again, the boxes were sealed from the manufacturer but with the wrong nails inside the wrong box.

These are the nails I used by mistake (I had to search a while to figure what type of nail it was):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...1501/100166931

My question is, do I need to painstakingly re-nail the shakes with the correct nail? I'm sure these flooring nails will rust at some point, but does anybody know how long it will take for that to happen? I don't really think holding power is an issue but the corrosion worries me.

The project was 5 bundles of cedar shakes so it was quite a bit of work. Don't really want to re-nail if I don't absolutely have to.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Old 11-21-17, 10:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd counter sink the heads and fill with painter's putty. That generally stops the heads from rusting and marring the paint job.

Old 11-21-17, 01:22 PM
S
OK, will definitely consider this. Definitely easier than pulling them out, thanks!

Old 11-21-17, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You can also put a little oil primer on them before you putty.

Old 11-22-17, 02:14 PM
S
Realized I can't do any of this stuff because all the nails are covered with the above course of shingles - duh

Old 11-22-17, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
May not be an issue, as long as they don't get wet they are unlikely to rust and have a stain run down the siding.

Old 11-22-17, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
And we were referring to the exposed fasteners... top row, or under windows. You obviously can't do anything about the blind nails, unless you want to cry over spilled milk, which I'm sure you already did when you found out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: