Corrugated metal siding over T-111

Old 11-21-17, 10:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Corrugated metal siding over T-111

Is it possible to install corrugated metal siding over t111 siding?

What about horrizantal wood shiplap siding over t111?

And finally, what about wood shingles over t111 siding?

Our home is on North Lake Tahoe and the current t111 siding is in good shape and the paint is in decent shape. We are looking to do virtical corrugated metal siding on the bottom 3rd of the home, then horrizontal wood shiplap on the middle 3rd, and finally wood shingles on the top 3rd under the over hangs.

Is this possible and if so, what prep between the old t111 siding and new siding will be needed?

thanks!

Old 11-22-17, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

There shouldn't be any issues installing most any type of siding over T-111 although you do need to figure how that affects your windows and doors. Steel sweats so you'd need tar paper behind it to protect the T-111, probably a good idea no matter what type of siding you use.

Old 11-22-17, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If your T1-11 has batten strips over the seams those will probably have to come off before you install the second layer of siding.

Old 11-22-17, 06:02 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I agree, shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest adding nails as necessary so it's nailed the same as if it were sheathing. In fact, I would add additional nails just for the fun of it; but then I always tend to overbuild.

Old 11-24-17, 07:25 PM
J
Great! Thanks for the help all! I appreciate it as I plan on doing some big exterior home improvements soon and I would like to do as many as possible on my own. I am first spending some time trying to figure out how difficult each project will be and then can determine what I want to tackle. I am hoping that this will be one I will not need to hire out for.

Just to get an idea, for some one who is fairly handy, how hard would something like this be to tackle?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-17, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Measure and cut carefully - that is the main thing. Steel panels aren't as forgiving as other materials if things get out of line/square.

Old 11-25-17, 03:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Have a good method for cutting the steel. Tin snips can do it but after making one long cut your hand will be tired and looking for a power tool.

Be prepared that not all sheets of metal will be the same width and that they can be shrunk and stretched. The corrugations allow you to push or pull to make the sheet wider or narrower. It's a good idea to occasionally check your sheets with a level to make sure everything is staying true.

Old 11-25-17, 09:21 PM
J
I have a decent Ryobi tool set with a power grinder that was great at cutting metal fence post ends into points. I was assuming this would work well for the job of cutting corrugated metal sheets, right?

I also have a vibrating mutli-tool thing that I haven't figured out a use for, but it said it cuts metal also.

Old 11-26-17, 02:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd use a circular saw with a metal blade as cutting a straight line will be easier than it would be using a grinder or multi tool.

Old 11-26-17, 03:38 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Does Lake Tahoe have a Zoning Bylaw that speaks to what you can have for siding ?

I haven't seen corrugated metal used for siding since I was in Viet Nam; but then again they didn't have Zoning in DogPatch, and could even use flattened beer cans for shingles.

Old 11-26-17, 09:15 AM
J
Marksr, sounds good. I have two skill saws so I will get the blades for that instead of the grinder. Thanks!

Vermont, thanks for the look out as the TRPA (Tahoe Regional Planning Agency) AKA, Tahoe's Refusal to Participate in Anything, is very strict. However, my neighbor down the street has corrugated metal siding on their house, which is where I got the idea from. Also, a lot of homes use this for their roofs, so it is pretty common up here. I will only be doing the bottom 3rd of the house in the metal siding, the other 2/3rds will be wood and shingles for siding so it won't be the whole house done in all metal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: