Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Flashing how-to regarding IGU windows and protruding sill Prep for stucco

Old 03-24-18, 11:49 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi.
I'm building an exterior non-load bearing wall that I am incorporating some large IGU's into. The IGU's (insulated glass units), measure about 3'x 6' and are being framed in vertically.
I'm framing these IGU's into the 2x6 wall framing using an inner and outer blocking method to hold them in, set on neoprene setting blocks.

My question is regarding the flashing specifically pertaining to my sill. My sill will have a 12 degree slope for water dissipation and protrude out about 3" from the 2x6 wall framing. 3"= 1 1/2" for thickness of stucco exterior (as measured by what I have on the house already), 1/2" for OSB shreathing and 1" for sill to protrude past stucco plane giving the sill 1" to drip water away from house.

How would one go about flashing with a sill protruding like this? I have watched many videos where they use the flexible self adhesive flashing for the sill pan, but all of those videos are for pre-framed manufactured windows with no sill per say. I cant find any with a protruding sill.

Would you just cover the whole sill with the adhesive flashing and let them stucco over the whole thing, or would you cut the adhesive flashing at the bottom window stop outer edge and leave the sill bare for painting without stucco?

How would you flash this? what would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-18, 12:14 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
My sill will have a 12 degree slope for water dissipation

What is the material you are using for the sill??

Old 03-24-18, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you cut a shallow dado in the bottom of the sill, starting at the exterior sheathing / wrb surface... it will give you a "notch" to tape the wrb to... and water will drip off the front of the sill nose. There should be a casing bead used around the perimeter of the window trim to keep the stucco and wood apart. The joint gets backer rod and caulk.

Old 03-24-18, 01:57 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay, thank you.
I am planning on using kiln dried pressure treated wood for the sill.

I have been looking at these 2 drawings as they seem to be all I can find for my question.
One shows adhesive flashing under the sill with a back dam.
Third photo is one I drew. What do you think? Please don't laugh

Attached Images    

Last edited by hotrodjohn71; 03-24-18 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Imo, none of those photos are a good idea, mainly due to the way the sill would trap water if you tried to build something that way... since you can't incorporate weep holes like a window mfg could if those were prefab windows. I am not a fan of putting igu's in with stops, but I know a lot of people do it.

IMO an igu should always be glazed into a sash. More like this photo. Maybe you could incorporate some of those details instead... up to you. https://goo.gl/images/iRjYVq

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: