Removing RB&B siding without destroying it

Old 04-06-18, 08:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Removing RB&B siding without destroying it

I'm in a dilemma where I need to remove some reverse board and batten siding that is 12 inch on Center to move that siding to a small water well shed that is in dire need of siding. This siding is like Masonite but it is not Masonite it is a fiber. I'm replacing the siding I am removing with plywood And you can follow that progress on another thread. There is only so far that I can get my pry bar into the back of the siding to get the nails out. I'm looking for suggestions on how to save this board so that I can save myself a couple hundred dollars in siding. The siding that I am removing is in great shape. Looking for any suggestions

Last edited by PJmax; 01-08-20 at 05:35 PM. Reason: relink pic
Old 04-06-18, 09:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's not going to be an easy task. You want to find out which panel was installed last on the side you are working on, then carefully pry it loose. If there is any caulking involved be sure to cut that caulk first.

Old 04-06-18, 10:50 AM
J
I got the last one where I can pull at it. Just hoping someone had some guidance.

Old 04-06-18, 11:35 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
One of my favorite tools is my dremel with a small diamond wheel. For a case like yours I could cut down at an angle and remove the head of the nail without a lot of damage to the siding. Once installed in its new location a touch or paintable caulking and the cuts would gone.

With the heads of the nails removed the siding will pull off much easier.

Bud

Old 04-06-18, 05:57 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I would not be wasting my time, buy new siding.
No way are you going to be able to fit an oscillating saw behind the siding.
A diamond blade would take forever to get through a nail.

Old 04-06-18, 08:25 PM
J
That's not a good solution. I need to avoid spending more money I don't have it to spend. This is my house I inherited through a succession and I have to fix it or lose insurance.

Old 04-06-18, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you can locate the nails, use a large nail set (the red one) and drive the nails right through the siding. Reinstall using larger headed hdg nails... 7d or 8d.

Old 04-12-18, 02:49 PM
J
Using a nail punch I never got the nails driven. They just laughed at my attempt to do so. Any other ideas? I'd estimate I have about 70 nails per sheet to remove.

Old 04-12-18, 03:37 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I've been in this business a long time, I'll stick with my first post on this one.
How long have you spent on this one issue?
Guessing I'm look at this from a different prospective in my world time is money.
I''ve I just spent an hour to remove a $25.00 piece of siding to try to save it then have to go back and try to reinstall that same piece of damaged piece of siding and fix all the flaws so I'm at least getting paid double.
Your spending a dollar in labor to save a dime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: