Re-Stucco What to Consider?

Old 06-30-18, 11:08 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-Stucco What to Consider?

I have a 1920’s home which I would like to get sandblasted and re-stoccued. As far as I know this will be the first time its been redone. In choosing a contractor and in choosing the finish what are the important considerations? BTW this work was recommended by a painting contractor who said I would be happier with the look of the house if I did the restucco instead of hiring him to repaint. I appreciated his honesty (over just taking my money). Thanks in advance!

Old 06-30-18, 09:18 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Has the stucco been painted? Being this old I would think it has. But if it has not been painted a good pressure washing and then repair as needed should make for a good refinish job.
If it has been painted there is an option short of sand blasting: pressure was then apply a bonding agent like Weld Crete. Now the stucco will bond to the Weld Crete but that bond is only as good as the paint. If the paint lets loose the stucco comes with it.
Are you prepared for the mess of the sand blasting? Are your neighbors prepared. Being a good neighbor would involve sealing the neighbors' windows during the sand blasting. AND YOU WILL NEED TO PROTECT YOUR GLASS FROM ETCHING. That should be the sand blaster's job. Make sure he does it.

If there is paint there is the issue of lead. Every speck of sand and paint must be collected and disposed of properly. Or get the paint tested and hope it is clean. If you get it tested and it has lead you are without excuse.

Then do any repairs needed to the stucco and finish it to your liking of color and texture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: