Siding is below grade

Old 07-25-18, 03:28 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Siding is below grade

We bought a new home a month ago and we missed that some of the siding is below grade or right next some asphalt. I am looking for recommendations on how I may remediate the problem. The garage itself is probably 50-60 years old. It does look like some siding has been replaced at one point already. The garage itself seems to be on a flat concrete slab, and it has wood lap siding with felt for wrap, but does not have any sheathing. I was doing some garage organizing and started noticing the bottom plate is rotten and will need to be replaced in about an eight foot section. The ground is sloped around the garage so the issue really only exists on the rear and side that has asphalt. In both of those situations the siding is below either earth or asphalt .

Here is a link to some images. Looking for ideas. So far the recommendation has been to remove the siding below grade, use coppercoat to make sure the wood isn't rotting/ replace rotten wood. Then use a waterproof membrane at the garage slab to the bottom plate. Then use galvanized or vinyl flashing to bring it above grade. On the asphalt side use a flashing that extends onto the asphalt for drainage. I am working with an asphalt companie to add a swale but that maybe a month or more out since it's a busy time of the year.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8l?usp=sharing
Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 3018
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  g2.jpg
Views: 3354
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  g3.jpg
Views: 3393
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  g4.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  g5.jpg
Views: 2785
Size:  47.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-25-18 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added resized pics from link
Old 07-25-18, 04:46 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So is there a question?

Need to get the dirt off the siding but you appear to be working toward that!

Old 07-25-18, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Looking for ideas.
When I have a situation where siding "has to be" buried in the ground, I will pick a spot about 6" above grade and snap a level lone on the siding. Cut along that line and remove the siding below. Then install a z-flashing under the siding and put a pvc skirt board (Azek, Versatec, Royal, etc) that is wide enough to cover everything below.

The old timer way of fixing that problem would be to just pull the nails in one row of siding and stick a wide metal flashing under the loose siding and cover up all that siding that is below grade.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: