Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Vinyl over cedar plank siding, ants coming through window cracks?

Old 08-19-18, 08:32 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this question should go in siding or pest control...

My house was built in the late 50s, still has original cedar plank siding and casement windows. I'm about to have both replaced, and the plan is to repair or remove any damaged cedar plank, but leave everything that's in good shape and lay the vinyl on top.

I've heard cedar is supposed to be resistant to rot and infestation, but over the last two summers I've noticed ants coming into the house under the brick molding around several of the windows. I've checked the exterior around those windows and there are no visible signs of damage, but I know these things can be subtle.

Is this just a sign that the seal around the windows have failed after 60 years, something that will be resolved when the new windows are installed? Or am I about to slap vinyl siding on top of a bigger problem?

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-18, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 669 Posts
My comment would be that if ants are a problem, that is a pest control problem. 70 year old houses have tons of cracks and places where insects can get in. Spraying an insecticide might take care of the problem.

Vinyl siding is going to be even more loose than your current siding, so that's not a solution by any means, unless the ants are being attracted to the wood siding and you plan to remove it. There are many types of ants.

And windows that old are not bug proof. Nothing to do with their age... that is just the way they are. There is also no guarantee new windows would stop the bugs from coming in the house. They can come through the sheathing and framing too. Some ants might be attracted to wet siding or sheathing, so just covering up the siding with vinyl might just be leaving the any nest there. Removing the old cedar doesn't cost anything if you DIY and is the best idea if you want new windows and siding. You would add new housewrap at the same time and be able to inspect the sheathing for damage.