Odd flashing used in siding

Old 12-13-18, 05:13 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Odd flashing used in siding

I got new siding installed, and they haven't swung by to seal it or paint it yet. I don't know how the flashing at the bottom is going to keep water out since it can just roll back and end up in the ~1 inch driveway-slab gap it's covering and possibly get to the sill plate. Is my thinking correct, or is this method OK? There is house wrap behind the siding panels, attached you can see the corner piece.

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-18, 02:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I would think the only purpose that bottom half of that flashing serves is to dress up the bottom. IMO if there are any water issues those should have been addressed first.

Old 12-14-18, 04:50 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Do you know the construction behind the flashing? Usually the outside wall covering (not the corner trim) extends or is flush with the outside edge of the foundation/sill. The first bend of the flashing that is behind the siding should be sloped away from the wall (looks like 90 degrees in pic) to carry water away from the siding/ flashing joint. Also, flashing that close to the ground will be damaged in no time. Ask for a different covering.

Old 12-14-18, 07:57 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
@Beelzebob

The construction they used goes: Stud - OSB sheathing - House Wrap - Hardie plank

I thought the same thing about the bottom flashing getting damaged, but apparently this is considered "James Hardie approved".

When I was initially fixing the bottom siding that caused water damage to the studs, I put PVC board into the driveway-foundation gap filled with concrete sealant, with house wrap and insulation behind it. See picture below, would this be better?

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-18, 09:25 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
If the sill is not on an elevated (referenced to driveway) slab or foundation, water will get to the sill eventually no matter how much you seal. If the flashing doesn’t conform to any material underneath, it will be damaged in a short time. I also think the trench you created will dry quicker if not cover up by the flashing.

Old 12-14-18, 07:45 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just a few things. If there is a gap as shown in your drawing, it will eventually hold water. House wrap is not a water proof product and if it gets wet, will hold water. Many foam insulations also absorb water. The hardie board should be spaced a minimum of 1/4 above the aluminum flashing. The gap is too small and will hold water which the hardie board will then also absorb water.
Hoping the sill plate is treated. At least it will take it longer to rot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: