Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Rotten bottom trim on porch, temp & long term options?

Old 01-31-19, 11:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a porch which was built at a later point then the house. The bottom wood trim on the porch is experiencing moderate rot and decay. This is not only unsightly but providing a convenient entrance for critters.

The inside framing of the porch itself is also in need of repair and will require tearing off all of the siding in order to expose the beams so that they can be swapped and or braced.I'd like to hold this off as I have re-siding the house on my 5 year to-do list and there doesn't seem to be much point in risking damage to and having to replace expensive 24" cedar shake when It'll be going away in the near future anyway.

Short term, I'm thinking of shimming some black flashing sheets underneath the bottom edge of the shake that's just long enough to barely make contact with the ground.

Long term I'm thinking I'll need to tear off the shake, the lapped siding behind it and then replace all of the damaged board with a rot resistant board such as composite board?

http://imgur.com/gallery/6vTDYgE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: