Need identification on this wood plank

Old 04-05-19, 09:06 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need identification on this wood plank

So this is the corner of a bay window that dry rotted and fell out during a winter storm. I need to replace it or fix it somehow due to one end being chewed up by pillbugs.What i need is to identify the type of board this is. I cannot tell if its a few pieces glued or attached somehow or just one piece custom made for the corner.. Any thoughts?

Also best way to replace this if it can't be identified?

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  w2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  106.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-05-19 at 10:17 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 04-05-19, 09:20 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,660
Received 1,808 Upvotes on 1,626 Posts
Well if you want to try and get a part from the mfg, we would need to know the window brand. And would need more general pictures of the window itself. That's sometimes hard to find but you can look on the spacer between the glass or look for a faint watermark in the bottom corners of the glass if there isn't an obvious brand name on a handle or lock.

If you plan to try and reuse you piece and make your own, you will just need to measure it carefully and write the measurements and angles and widths down. The carefully cut the wood off the aluminum and scrape or chisel any remaining wood off of the extrusion so that you can reuse it.

Any btw, there really is no such thing as dry rot. Things rot because they are getting wet.
Old 04-06-19, 09:55 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I included a couple more pictures of the window space. Also the piece attached is not aluminum. Seems like some sort of siding material that is just glued on to the wood. The other end of it is chewed up from water damage and pillbugs pretty bad that its missing a few inches. Since this is sort of a specialized cut, im guessing i will have to make this piece somehow? Just gets nailed from the top and bottom to hold the siding in place so it looks uniform with the window. Maybe modify a 4x4?
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-19, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,410
Received 785 Upvotes on 688 Posts
You could take a 1x or 2x and bevel the edges on a table saw to get it to fit. I'd prime it before installation so the hidden edges would have a little extra protection. Once it's secured in place you'd be ready for caulk and paint.

If the old piece wasn't clad in aluminum, is it vinyl?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: