Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Putting veneer stone on exterior but have gap to fill, suggestions please

Old 04-23-19, 07:01 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello

i am new to the forum but great info. We are converting an attached garage and putting veneer stone on outside, removed brick. However the remodelers at the time cut the brick in corner at angle now will have a 1 to 2 inch gap to fill after installing stone.

what would be good to fill the gap before or after installing the stone. I thought just mortar joint but it will be unusually big mortar joint.

thanks for any suggestions.
Keith

Attached Images  
Old 04-23-19, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I think I would find a similar brick, cut them in half and run a stack bond row right next to the brick... every couple feet add brick ties onto the new wall. (Corregated wall anchors)

Other option, if you can find the brick, is to actually tooth out and repair the brick wall to within 1" of the new wall on the right.

Old 04-24-19, 09:01 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
You can add a scratch coat to the lath extending out about 4-6' from the angle and taper it thicker so that the when the stone is installed it closes the gap. Be sure to rake or scarify the scratch coat. You might have to double scratch it as you get closer to the angle.

Old 04-25-19, 09:21 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much, I do have extra brick from when the wall was taken down. I also thought about adding a little thicker scratch coat.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: