Vinyl Siding: Can it last indefinitely?

Old 04-28-19, 06:11 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Vinyl Siding: Can it last indefinitely?

I understand that when the original finish begins to deteriorate on vinyl siding, you can repaint it. So if one were to do that, and keep a good protective layer of paint on it, is there any reason why the siding could not last indefinitely, for many decades? (Seems like the paint would protect the actual vinyl material from the UV, etc., so why would it ever deteriorate?)

Old 04-28-19, 06:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I suspect a lot has to do with the original quality of the siding. I do know the cheaper vinyl siding gets brittle as is ages. I think paint can slow down that process. I also suspect that after multiple coats of paint the paint itself might become an issue.

Old 04-28-19, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I've had vinyl siding on for +40 years. The finish is still good and it doesn't appear brittle. The color has faded some but is still visible. There does seem to get a very light chalky coating on the vinyl but it washes right off.

I'd have to consider painting it as a last resort.

Old 04-28-19, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
IMO painting vinyl siding will defeat the purpose of the maintenance free benefit of the siding. Also, while painting vinyl siding can be done, the material expands and contracts so much that paint wouldn't last for very long.

Old 04-29-19, 02:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've painted a vinyl siding a few times [color change] I've always sprayed the paint to minimize the paint build up. The ones I've drove past seem to still look good 10+ yrs later. My wife has a niece who's painted their vinyl sided house twice [brush/roller] I expected the thick layer of paint to be an issue but so far so good.

Vinyl siding is color/heat coded when made. Basically means that you shouldn't apply a darker color over lighter vinyl. The more heat the siding absorbs the more it affects the vinyl. SWP sells a vinyl safe paint that allows you to go darker although there is a limit to how dark you can go. Latex paints are more flexible than oil base coatings, I suspect an oil base paint wouldn't stay adhered to vinyl siding long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: