Installing Flag Holder On Siding

Old 10-10-22, 06:34 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Question Installing Flag Holder On Siding

Anyone know how I can install this holder? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-10-22, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You can't mount to the aluminum siding because it's too thin with no strength.
You need longer screws that will go thru the aluminum and into the sheathing.
One problem is you don't know what you have for sheathing, it's strength or how far back it is.

I use 4" long #10 or #12 screws ............... screws for comparison
This size screw will grab solidly

Second problem.... there is a gap between the aluminum siding and the sheathing. When you tighten the screws you could pull the bracket right thru the siding or distort the aluminum badly. I use three spacers between the bracket and the sheathing that fit loosely in a hole thru the siding.
example of spacers

Last edited by PJmax; 10-11-22 at 10:23 AM. Reason: replaced siding with sheathing
Old 10-11-22, 04:15 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
You need a mounting block like the one pictured below but without the holes in the center. They come in sizes depending on your siding so they are close to flush. Measure your siding row, vertically, to determine the size you need. Attach the block with 4 screws (see pjmax post) near the corners, each with a small washer, then attach the flagpole.

Two more points. First, add some silicone sealant around the mounting block top, left and right sides but not the bottom. Second, cover the existing holes with the mounting block but to the side, so you're not driving into them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: