Adhesive for vinyl siding gap?

Old 01-30-24, 05:37 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Adhesive for vinyl siding gap?

I had to replace a few pieces of vinyl siding when I was having my deck rebuilt. The replacement siding I purchased was the closest profile match I could find, but it was not exact (house was built in '94). So there is a bit of a gap where the new siding meets the old siding. I'd like to close that gap somehow, or fill it in, if possible. Any thoughts? Is there an adhesive, or a "filler" that would do the trick?

Old 01-31-24, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
caulking ??
After my son bought his house we discovered several patches in his siding. They were pop riveted in place. While his were done with the correct siding pop rivets should draw yours tighter.

Old 01-31-24, 03:24 AM
M
Received 302 Upvotes on 272 Posts
Sorry but I do not think it can be done.
If you pull in one area it is going to bulge elsewhere.
If you have some left over siding I would try to heat up and reform the last 6 inches of the siding so it gradually changes to the old format.
Note I have never done this but is all I can think of that will work.

Also might look better if the new siding goes behind instead of in front of the old stuff

Last edited by manden; 01-31-24 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 05:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Trying to mechanically attach the siding is risky. Vinyl siding expands and contracts a lot with temperature change. That is why it's loosely nailed through inch long slots. If you attach the two pieces you may have buckling when it's hot or could rip the siding when it's cold. But, if done right it could work but you do need to be very mindful of the expansion/contraction when you position the two strips to be attached.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-31-24, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Sealing it is pointless, it's not going to look any better. Putting it behind (if you can) is a better idea.

Old 01-31-24, 08:56 AM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Putting it behind the other actually is worse - this way is a better fit. Not going to "pop rivet" anything - I don't want to penetrate the siding. I might try some rope caulk - just to close up that gap a bit. I'm not worried that much about how the gap looks - it's going to be behind some deck furniture; I just want to keep out bugs and such.

I'll probably get new siding within 10 years or so - there are a few little patched holes from when my kid and his buddies were running around the yard with airsoft guns.

Old 01-31-24, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Its kind of pointless. Bugs get in at the gaps at every j channel too, you just aren't looking there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: