Repairing vinyl siding

Old 02-14-24, 09:28 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Repairing vinyl siding

I noticed there was some damage from a recent storm to the vinyl siding on this house. I need to get guidance for several things. On the corner piece I need to remove what's there, repair what's underneath and put it back. How do I get all of this off without breaking it? I've seen some damage to the wood underneath, most likely from water getting in. So I need to repair this.

Secondly in the carport the top vinyl has come off, I unsuccessfully tried to put it back so please help me on how to put the pieces back.without breaking. I think where it's missing is where it started during the original installation so its backwards but maybe I'm wrong.

The corner that needs repair

Piece thats missing from the ceiling.

Old 02-15-24, 04:12 AM
B
Received 320 Upvotes on 282 Posts
Check your home insurance to see if hail damage is covered. Corner (inside and outside) pieces are installed first so the ends of the horizontal pieces are hidden. The corner pieces have nailing flanges that are cover by the end horizontal pieces so the end horizontal pieces must be removed to access the corner piece nails. Impossible to comment about water infiltration without being there.

Old 02-15-24, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
Siding is installed from the bottom up. To remove it you start from the top and work down. There is a tool for unsnapping layers of vinyl siding that would allow you to pop the siding loose half way up and work down from there so you don't have to strip the whole end of that wall.

Your soffit I can't see how it was originally held in place. One edge will snap to interlock with the soffit that's in place then you'll have to nail or screw the flange with the slots. The final strip at the end I can't see how yours was done. Normally the nailing strip would be concealed behind another strip of soffit material or underneath the trim J channel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: