why wouldn't my tractor run?

Old 10-05-18, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
why wouldn't my tractor run?

Well actually I know why just not how. Back in the spring I replaced the distributor and after a little adjusting got it running fine .... for about 10 hrs on the meter. After that it wouldn't start, not even fire. I had spark, fuel and it was tuned up when the distributor was replaced. I was too busy to dig deep until this morning. I checked for top center of #1 and found out that the wires on the dist were all one position off. How did that happen? it was running good after the dist change ?? If it had jumped time [no reason it should have] it wouldn't be as simple as reclocking the plug wires would it?

1953 NAA [golden jubilee]

Old 10-05-18, 10:18 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I don't tinker as much as I used to, but have done my share, and yes, I believe that it could be that easy. It fires each time the rotor lines up with a terminal in the cap, so as long as the first one is lined up to fire with the right cylinder and the rest of the wires are in the right order it shouldn't matter which way the cap is oriented. And with an engine like that, maybe not literally, but close to it, you have a lot of leeway. As far as jumping time, I'm trying to remember, but thinking that the distributor shaft has a gear rather than a slot (?), so maybe it was off a bit initially (?), or maybe the hold down bolt is bottoming out and not tightening all the way (?).

Old 10-05-18, 10:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My memory is kind of fuzzy but I'm thinking there was a slot and gear at the bottom of the dist. Guess I could dig up the old one and find out for sure. I'm positive the distributor was seated down all the way and both bolts snug up nicely.

To be clear, I had to remove the plug wires and back them all up one position to get it to run.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: