Fenceline Weed & Tree Killer

Old 09-29-22, 06:28 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Fenceline Weed & Tree Killer

I have a 20 acre tract that was once rented out for pasture land. The guy wo leased it put 2 strands of barbed wire & steel posts up. That was back in the late 80's until around probably early 2000s.
When he retired for good, he left all the fences up. Obviously, now the fence lines are grown up with grass, weeds and various junk trees. Some of the barbed wire is off the posts & on the ground.

I am now in th process of cleaning this 20 acres up. I need to get that fence line cleaned up but we've already seen some copperheads down there & I really don't want to be down in there digging around for wire, pulling posts up & using a chainsaw.... at least until I can get it cleaned up some what.

So, my intent is to put something on that fence row to kill at least the grass & weeds, and honestly, the trees as far as I am concerned. I have about a 1/4 mile of fence line to start with.
What you think?
In the old days, we used Sodium Chlorate... that's like buying DDT now... LOL

Around the place where we live now, we like to use a mix of vinegar, salt & dawn dish soap. Works well but I aint too sure about a grown up fence row like this & how much it will take.
Considering Roundup. Yeah, yeah, I know about the cancer causing effect, etc., but its one day, not regularly over 20 years , AND I will be using a pull behind sprayer on wheels with my lawn mower (I've already bush hogged along side the fence line).

So, 1/4 mile+, weeds, brush, small to medium trash trees & the amount of weed killer I am going to need... what do you suggest?

Old 09-29-22, 09:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
First, this is a poor time of year in most areas. Because the growing season is largely over the plant's uptake of herbicide will be much slower. Slower still if you are experiencing a drought. So, be patient. Whatever you choose may take longer than it says on the package for results to appear. Right now for me it's taking 2-3 times longer than in the spring for the results of herbicides to be visible.

Roundup (glyphosate) alone is sorta OK but not the best as there are some weeds & woody weeds that are resistant. It will kill most grasses but can have trouble on some broad leaf plants. It is pretty safe and non-mobile so you don't have to worry about heavy rain transporting it and killing things elsewhere.

Go to your local feed/fertilizer store and ask what is commonly used in your area. You'll probably want something non-selective meaning it will kill most everything. There are many herbicides that will work. It will probably be a blend of several chemicals (glyphosate, 2,4-D, Dicamba and several other difficult to pronounce chemicals...) for multi modes of action.

You will also have to decide if you want something with residual action to prevent new weeds from germinating for many months. It's not as important now since it's the wrong season but you might consider it if you will be applying throughout the year. You have to be somewhat careful with some herbicides that offer long term control as they can be washed away by heavy rain. If done at the wrong time you can have dead streaks elsewhere due to runoff.

---
I too live in copperhead, cotton mouth territory. Get a pair of snake chaps or boots!!! In tall grass & brush the odds are you will not see the snake until after it bites you. If wearing chaps you also need tall, heavy leather boots to protect your feet and ankles.

I was clearing brush & weeds years ago and I stopped to check my phone. I felt a tap.... tap.... on the side of my leg. I was standing on a copperhead. Never saw it until I felt it hitting/biting my leg. Luckily my snake boots protected me so it was money well spent.

Old 09-29-22, 12:22 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Thank you sir. I was looking at this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...7?cm_vc=-10005

Comments?

Old 09-29-22, 02:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
That is just glyphosate concentrate. A generic brand of RoundUp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: