Please identify this metal fence

Old 08-29-15, 09:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please identify this metal fence

Most of my black metal fence panels are badly rusted and need to be replaced. BUT - the posts are still perfectly fine. AND, the panels along the rear property line were evidently replaced in the past and are also perfectly fine.

My goal is to find the same panels as what's on the back line, both to match, and more importantly because they look like they are designed as perfect retrofit replacement panels to existing posts. They use a bracket that makes it very easy to attach them to existing posts, and it even appears that they can be angled for slopes.

Do any of you know what these panels are called? Here are pictures. All I can see is a "V" stamped near the end of each panel by the post. Thanks!

Name:  Fence 1.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  Fence 2.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  46.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-26-16 at 03:23 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 08-29-15, 02:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
That looks like aluminum fencing. Unless you can find a sticker or stamp with the manufacturers name I think you are just going to have to play detective. Check home centers and contractor suppliers in your area to see if one can get a similar looking fence.

Old 08-29-15, 04:20 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Old 08-30-15, 07:30 AM
M
I'm not having any luck. I've checked Menards, Lowes, and HD (including talking to people at the store) and they have nothing even remotely like this.

As you can see from the pictures, the pickets go through holes in the rails. The panels appear to be somewhat rackable. The panels are also a very simple 2-rail design and yet they are 92" wide and quite strong (the shorter panel pictured was obviously cut down). The rails are 48" apart and the pickets are approximately 58" high.

And I haven't been able to find brackets like that which go around the posts to bolt to the panels on both sides.

I've done a close inspection and the only marking is the "V" - which might just be an arrow - at the ends of the rails.

It's a great system - and I can't find anything like it anywhere. Very frustrating.

Old 08-30-15, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As mentioned earlier, check with local fence suppliers! They will likely know who sells it if they don't. I've been on jobs that used that style/type of fence but never paid a lot of attention to where it came from.

Old 08-30-15, 03:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Big box "happy homeowner" stores are not the only option. Check with more commercial sources. The people that supply to contractors. In my tiny town there are two. One is a building supplier that covers everything from lumber to windows & fencing. The other is a vinyl siding wholesaler that distributes all sorts of exterior items including fencing.

I'd get some good pictures on a laptop or printed out that you can take with you then go into work late one day. Visit the stores on an off peak time so they have plenty of time to assist you. Early morning contractors are getting their supplies but around 9 things quiet down and you should get better attention.

Old 08-31-15, 07:08 AM
M
Thanks - I think I'm on my way to figuring this out. I just happened to be at our neighborhood pool yesterday and noticed that it has the exact same fencing - with a sign for a local contractor. I've got them scheduled to come out and provide an estimate, so they should be able to ID the material.

This project doesn't seem very difficult to do myself if I can get the right material, but it won't hurt to get an estimate, too.

The trick is going to be the eratic spacing of the existing posts. For some bizarre reason, there is very little uniformity in the length of the panels. They range from 6 to 8 feet in length, and all points in between (plus a few shorter sections near corners, which makes sense). Thus, to retrofit, I'm goign to have to buy pretty much all 8ft panels and cut them down to size. It could be that this ends up being more expensive than just setting new posts at 6ft intervals.

Old 04-22-16, 02:44 PM
G
Were you able to identify this fence? We bought some exactly like this from an individual and would like to know where to get more/additional parts.
Thanks!

Old 04-26-16, 03:05 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hey I could be completely wrong, but that looks like steel, not aluminum...

I mean they always look so close and it is always hard to tell from a picture, but the structure and the brackets are whats leading me to believe that it is a steel fence and not an aluminum fence.

Fencing styles and brackets used over the years have changed.... That bracket seems to be a bit on the older side... Like they might be 20 yrs or more. If that is the case you might not find the same exact bracket even if you find the manufacturer of that fence. Still, many times manufacturers ship close to home for residential fencing... Check fence suppliers.... Not big box stores. That fence might be older than HD or L''s stores all together.

Good luck.. I hope you get better results.

Greg

Greg's Fence NJ ~
"Save a life, Adopt a homeless animal"

Old 04-26-16, 05:50 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
The mail reason there rusting is some one installed them to close to the ground.
Whole lot cheaper to just wire brush the damaged areas, hit with rusty metal primer and repaint with Rustolum paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: