gate advice

Old 01-24-16, 10:56 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gate advice

Hi everyone,
I'm just about to start building my fence. My yard currently has cinderblock walls around the back and sides, but nothing up to the house. I'm planning to build a wood fence from the cinderblock up to the house. My house has a septic tank under part of the backyard, so I'd like to be able to have access for the septic truck to be able to reach back there if necessary, but don't want to have to open a 10' gate every time I go back there. I was thinking of building 2 gates, one pedestrian size and the other 6-7' wide, and having both of those gates latch onto a shared post, that sits in one of those post hole inserts. My thinking is that if we needed to get access to the yard with a truck, I could unlatch and open both gates, then pull out the post. Do you think this is my best plan, or is there another option I'm not thinking of? I haven't checked the slope with a line and level, but I'd be surprised if it has more than 6" of slope over the 25' that I need to fence, so for all intents and purposes, it's basically level.
Thanks for the help!
Matt

Old 01-25-16, 03:37 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I did a similar thing for vehicle access to my back yard. I have a 3' pedestrian gate and a 6' truck gate that always stays closed except when I need my truck out back. But rather than a post, I just put a cane bolt on the truck gate that goes into a small timber buried flush in the ground. That fixes the truck gate into place so it can't swing. The pedestrian gate then latches to the truck gate.

Old 01-25-16, 06:16 AM
W
Received 29 Votes on 26 Posts
Gates

The combined gate opening width needs to be a minimum of 10 feet.

Old 02-18-16, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Matt, I just built a new fence and new gate setup to allow vehicle access to my yard. I did a 4' wide pedestrian gate and a 10' double gate for vehicles. The pedestrian gate and one of the double gate sides share a post. Sounds like you have plenty of length to put up what you like. It does cost a little more for the gate hardware and posts (6x6 at least imo), but you get the best of both worlds. If you're interested in something like this I can take pics of mine and show you some potential pitfalls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: