Fence Installation Issues?

Old 04-15-16, 01:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Fence Installation Issues?

I bought a new construction home last fall that that is on a slightly sloped piece of land. Towards the bottom of the slope, there are a couple sections of fence that make direct contact with the ground. As a result, those boards have absorbed water and are starting to warp, discolor, and split.

What I'm wondering is if that is "typical" installation procedure, or should the builder have trimmed off the bottom of those fence slats so they don't touch the ground?

Also, do you think I'd be out of line to put this on my warranty repair punch-list? Seems like an oversight on whoever installed the fence, but I've never built a fence, so what do I know. ;-)

Old 04-15-16, 02:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Hard to tell what you're seeing, can you post some pictures?

Old 04-15-16, 03:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I agree the boards should be trimmed although with all the miles of fencing I've painted, it's rare to see them do so

Old 04-15-16, 03:47 PM
Received 319 Votes on 286 Posts
Not so uncommon. Wrong, but unless you state that you want a 2 x 4 height from bottom of fence to ground, some lazy installers will et it rest on the ground.

Old 04-15-16, 04:54 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, gang!

For reference, here's a pic of one section. Notice the discolored and split boards?

Name:  IMG_2475.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  50.0 KB

Old 04-15-16, 05:18 PM
Received 319 Votes on 286 Posts
I had a guy do a repair for me one time and he did exactly that. When I bought my new fence I made explicit orders that the bottom must be a 2x 4 high off the ground.

Old 04-16-16, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Unfortunately that is pretty standard I couldn't count the fences that I had to remove the dirt from the bottom and/or use a shield when I sprayed the stain in order to keep dirt from getting on the wet stain. Was the sod laid after the fence was installed?

Old 04-26-16, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Depending on that slope....

I can not defend someone else but I will say that it is possible that the materials purchased were not as rack-able as the grade sloped.

In some cases, not all.. if the grade is so steep a fence could be single nailed so that it can be racked to go with the grade, up and then down... if need be.

In some other cases the wood panels could be nailed so tight together and then the pickets double nailed that the installer may be forced to go with whatever he has...
Some wood panel , stockade or even board on board fences just do not rack. No matter how much we as installers would want to move that section, sometimes they just do not move.

I am not saying that is the case, I am just allowing some movement for the possibility that the installer did the best he could for what materials he had.

And then there is one other possibility ...

The fence could have been installed on soil... before the grass grew or before the sod was laid down.

The installer then works with an assumed height of grass, without even seeing it.

Can this be a charge-back to your builder? You could try... But I seriously do not think they will eat this one.. While it is not completely right to put the fence down on the ground, It is not completely wrong either.

Many times people request the fence to be as low as possible...

These things happen....

Sorry you have had this experience.

Good luck with your claim.

Greg~

Greg's Fence NJ ~
"Save a life, Adopt a homeless animal"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: