Installing New Stockade Fence

Old 04-23-16, 05:51 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing New Stockade Fence

I need to install a stockade fence. Since I have a pool the horizontal pieces must go on my side, the inside.

At the back of my backyard is my neighbors fence. It is a 4 foot chain link fence and then, in the inside of that for him, he attached a stockade fence to it.

But my town requires me to have my own fence.

Anyway, my backyard is not very spacious and I want squeeze every inch I can so I want to put my stockade right up to his chain link--maybe just an inch or two of space.

So, to be as economical as possible with space, I figured i would notch my 4x4 posts so that the horizontal 2x3 can sit in them. then I can toe-nail them in since I wont be able to nail in from behind (because of the other stockade fence) or maybe screw through 4x4 into the 2x3 .

Note: neighbor is not friendly so I cannot just connect my fence to his chain link--which would make the most sense.

My concern is that the fence posts will warp. 4x4s seem to warp pretty easy to begin with, but if notched out I am afraid they will warp even more.

Should I be concerned?

Last edited by Workbootsnjeans; 04-26-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-23-16, 08:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Note: neighbor is the biggest male genitalia
Notch that instead. Can you use some kind of Simpson Strong Tie bracket, in order to avoid notching the 4x4s?

Old 04-23-16, 08:36 PM
R
I probably could figure something out using brackets. Not sure how it would look though. And might get costly.

Old 04-23-16, 09:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You could use steel fence posts with with rail brackets for the rails. The smaller posts would get it closer.

Or you could build the fence lying flat on the ground (pickets facing up) then raise it up so the pickets were against the neighbors fence and the posts slide into pre dug holes. (Have a barbecue and get all your friends to help raise it.)

Old 04-24-16, 07:41 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Note: neighbor is the biggest male genitalia
Notch that instead.
Thanks, made my day!

Old 04-24-16, 04:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Thanks, made my day!
I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Old 04-25-16, 11:54 AM
R
Is there a benefit to using metal posts? I planned on a stockade fence because it seemed both easier and cheaper. Do people typically put stockade fence on metal posts?

What is the pros/cons of 6 foot chain link vs 6 foot stockade?

Old 04-25-16, 01:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Wood posts rot. Galvanized steel post will probably outlast the house. Yes it's done. That is why they make rail brackets. But I suggested it because the smaller diameter of the steel posts compared to 4x4s would get you closer to the existing fence whick I understood to be one of your goals.

Name:  wood-fence-w-steel-posts.jpg
Views: 3912
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  wpa-bracket.jpg
Views: 2283
Size:  22.9 KB

Old 04-25-16, 05:33 PM
R
Yes, I understand. And I like the idea. Im just wondering if it looks "right" And maybe I shouldnt worry about the 3 or so inches so much.

Im deciding if I should just go with a 6 ft chain link. I mean, with the stockade, since I need the horizontals on my side its not like it looks that nice anyway.

What do you think? Chain link or stockade?

Old 04-25-16, 06:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I mean, with the stockade, since I need the horizontals on my side its not like it looks that nice anyway.
Not only that, the horizontals on your side make it easier for someone to climb over the fence when the law is supposed to prevent that. So stupid. At the same time, the stockade is cheaper & the 3" won't make a difference.

Old 04-26-16, 11:56 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Have you looked at the vinyl coated posts and chain link? I had one put up last year in brown and I think it looks pretty good.

Old 04-26-16, 02:54 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I second the use of steel posts to support your fence.

In use , you could use a 2 inch diameter post with a steel to wood bracket that is shown in previous posts.. The whole thing would literally be the thickness of the fence panel of your choice and 2 inches verses 3 1/2" of a 4x4...

Plus the major advantage of using the steel posts is that you affix the stockade to the bracket from your side of the fence, verses having a wood post that you would typically need to be on the outside nailing into the face of the stockade and through to the wood post behind it. ( Which because you and the neighbor do not get along he would never allow you on his property to begin with... even if you could do it with his fence in the way.

Stockade on Steel... definitely the best way to go.

And the posts will never bow.

Cement is needed for this job.

And for the record.. I have found that customers put fencing up for an array of reasons... Most times it is for dog or child containment... Then there is the idea of having privacy from passer-by's and then of course pool safety and security..

Of course, not that it is your reason, but so many times people put up fencing because they simply don't like their neighbors... It is very common.

Good luck with your fencing project.

Greg's Fence NJ ~
"Save a life, Adopt a homeless animal"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: