Distance from fence to sidewalk?

Old 05-09-16, 11:57 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distance from fence to sidewalk?

My fencing contractor recommended building my new side fence at least 12 inches from the sidewalk (I live on a corner), but I notice that some of my neighbors have their fences built right up to the sidewalk. Anybody know the rationale for building them a little back from the sidewalk?

Old 05-09-16, 02:06 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
The sidewalk is probably within the city's right of way so they should be contacted to be sure your plans are ok.

As for the 12" or zero, I would think zero would be encroaching on the walking space. Plus, you need some space to dig the holes. IMO

Bud

Old 05-09-16, 02:55 PM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
You will need a permit. At the time you request it ask about how far you're allowed to build fence from sidewalk. Also if it runs along side of house you may be required to lower it to 3 feet or less at that section. A lot depends on local fire codes and neighborhood aesthetics.

About 25 year ago both me and a neighbor on the other side of the street (both corner lots) build a fence to enclose our backyards. I allowed about 8 feet from side walk. He allowed about 12". By the end of the season he had to move it about 5 feet away. On the other hand another neighbor did in fact manage to have his fence within 12" of the sidewalk.

If you don't get a permit be prepared to be fined and move it.

Old 05-09-16, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fencing contractor recommended building my new side fence at least 12 inches from the sidewalk
Be very careful building a fence on a corner lot in CA. You need to take the contractor's word on the 12", or verify it with the city. Actually, 12" back is not bad.

The rationale is traffic and clear view left and right, not that anyone in California cares about stopping

Old 05-10-16, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Beside checking with local zoning you might also need to check with the HOA - if that applies.
It's easier/cheaper to find out the regulations before hand and comply than get told later it has to be moved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: