Best way to repair rotting round fence posts ?

Old 05-19-16, 01:03 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Best way to repair rotting round fence posts ?

Have about 300 feet of 6 foot, round yellow pine, post and rail fencing, circa 1993 or so. Clay soil with posts in concrete. About 10 of these 5-6" diam. round posts are rotting at the base. I see repair kits but all are for 4x4 square posts.

Any help out there finding kits for ROUND posts? Saw on the web Simpson Strong Tie #FPBM44E for $10. Might this work for me ?

I have used previously 6-8' metal tees pounded in and wired to wood post. Does not look too good. How about 3 pieces of hefty rebar, 3 feet into clay with a foot or two sticking up and wired to post?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-19-16, 03:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
IMO, the posts are rotting cause they are in concrete. I don't know anything about the kits. Your rebar idea may work, for awhile.

Old 05-19-16, 07:07 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I don't think those simpson brackets will work for round posts. They are designed to be driven between the post and the concrete (the wood is usually rotted enough to allow this) and then the top is fastened to the top of the post. The brackets are thick steel and I don't think they will bend to fit your round holes.

If the piece in the concrete is still pretty solid, you might get by with drilling a deep hole with a spade bit and extension and driving in a piece of galvanized pipe. Then band the upper part of the post to the pipe. Similar to your rebar idea but might be easier and neater looking....

Old 05-23-16, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it was my fence, I'd remove and replace the rotting posts. Using properly treated posts this time. You'll spend less time doing so instead of trying to repair what's there.

Old 06-01-16, 06:22 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Thanks for the replies....I will let you know how it is resolved. (Pretty sure that old posts and concrete will NOT be removed and replaced)

Old 06-01-16, 08:24 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rotton Fence posts in COncrete

Hi - over in England we have a 'shrink wrap' (pitch and plastic) post saver which you put around the post 2 inches above ground lever to 12 inches below they work for round as well as square posts bottom put in what we call in the UK post crete (Dry ready mixed concrete quick setting) - we have just replaced 26 fence posts using them - the principle of sealing the post at ground level seems a good idea Not sure if you are allowed to use bitumen on the post in the USA but would work as well - another 10 years and I will be able to know if it works! - To solve the concrete post problem we simply started mid way between the old posts and keep the same old spacing that way you don't have to remove any concrete from the ground and you have 'clean ground' to insert your posts if you're in clay using round posts depending on fence height and wind exposure in the UK we'd simply drill a 3 inch hole 2-3 foot deep for a three inch post! Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: