How to Attach Stockade Fence to Wood Posts?

Old 05-20-16, 09:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to Attach Stockade Fence to Wood Posts?

Hi,

I am putting up a 6 foot stockade fence and will use 4x4 treated wood for the posts.

Since I have a pool, the rails must be on my side.

Normally, what I see is that the panels would go on the neighbor's side of the posts, rails facing my side, and attach them from the neighbor's side.

But I cant get to the back side of this fence as it will be up against my neighbors 6 foot stockade fence (only about 6 inches away).

So, how best to secure the panels to the posts?

Do I need to have the rails on the outside of the posts?

The options I can think of are:

#1) drill 1/4 inch holes through the posts and the rails. Put an extra long bolt (7") through the holes in the rail and put the rail in place behind the post, guiding the long bolt through the post, to me. Since the bolt is long enough to extend through the picket, rail, and post and still extend to me another inch or so, I can put the nut on it and then hold it with a pair of pliers as I tighten the bolt. Then I can cut off the excess.

#2) Srcew the panels on my side of the posts. In other words, from my side, you would see no posts, only rails. Is this acceptable? Would it look strange?

#2 would be the easiest way to go. And I wouldnt have to drill any holes. But not sure how it would look.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-20-16, 11:06 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Sounds a little redundant with two (2) Fences back-to-back (Face-to-Face) only 6" apart; which one is actually on the Property Line ?

When I had a Stockade Fence (and my Neighbor had the same), I continued the Fence using 6" round Cedar Posts which were pre-drilled with 1½" or 2" holes into which the Rails were just inserted.

Only when I got to a finishing off point (where it was only 3' or so from the last Post) did I position a final "end" Post with holes on only one side, and trim a Rail into a dowel to fit snugly . . . . without the need for any nails or other fastening devices.

Old 05-20-16, 11:28 AM
R
The back to back fences is becuase the one that is currently up is my neighbors and is on his property (a couple of inches in from the line)

A 6 foot fence is required if you have a pool, which I do, and it must be your own fence. So, his fence is irrelevent. I must put my own up.

Also, do to space issue, I dont have very much room to work with, I need to stay with 4x4.

I am just wondering if I should install the panels from my side, covering up the posts. I have never seen it done this way--but mabe becuase most people dont have to.

Also, any kind of cooperation with the neighbor on this is out of the question. He is a massive %$&*@!

Old 05-20-16, 11:40 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Tie (fasten) the palings together with PT 2X lumber to form a section that will land in the center of your posts. Install the posts and tie the fence sections to them with angle brackets.

Old 05-20-16, 01:22 PM
R
interesting. So you are saying to build my own panel as opposed to buying premade--the premade ones dont use PT 2x. I believe they are non-PT 2x3.

And then, put them between the posts.

My only concern here is if the 4x4 PT posts warp.

And, would the screws in the angle brackets be a weak spot as far as handling wind?

Old 05-20-16, 03:20 PM
C
No you don't put the sections between the posts, you land them centered on the posts. If you are buying pre assembled stockade sections just attach them to the posts.

You are waaaaay overthinking this. For all the time spent hand wringing about it, you could have built the fence several times over.

Old 05-20-16, 04:47 PM
R
You are waaaaay overthinking this. For all the time spent hand wringing about it, you could have built the fence several times over.
I know. I always do this.

But I still dont get how to attach the pre assembled sections to the posts. I cant go behind the fence, so how do I attach the rails to the posts? From the front? That would mean the picket side of the panel is up against the posts (remember I cant go behind the fence and must have the rails on my side). So, I would see no posts from my side.

Old 05-21-16, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
1of 2 things I would 1st is ask neighbor if you can hang your fence on his . that 6 inch space is a weed, snake, and rodent pit. Back to back fences should not have to have rails on your side. I know good side faces neighbor but he already has a fence to hide it. If you can hang on his posts be sure you get it in writing. If neither option works use l brackets on post and rails.

Old 05-21-16, 04:38 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is the Neighbor's "Good Side" facing you . . . . and is he going to go on a whining spree when he can't access it for maintenance ?

Old 05-21-16, 04:48 AM
R
Cannot hang on neighbors fence. He is a mean, nasty, miserable old man. So that is out of the question. In fact, once my fence goes up, his will likely come down as it is decades old and falling apart/rotting in many places.

But town code calls for the rails being on my side because I have a pool. Because I cant control if/when his fence ever gets taken down, I would be in violation if it ever did (which his will) and I installed the wrong way.

Im sorry but I still dont get how to use the brackets. In your earlier post you mentioned brackets and I responded by saying "oh, the rails go between the posts" but then you said that was wrong/

So how do I hang the rails on the neighbors side of the post? With or without rails? It seems like you are giving me the way you do it, but it just doesnt make sense to me.

REgular L brackets? Then the rails would be betwen the posts.

Old 05-21-16, 04:54 AM
R
No. The neighbors bad side is facing me. But, it had been like that for years before I even bought my house and moved in. And it will be coming down soon. Since it is breaking in many spots and section has been blown down by a recent storm. And yes, a whining spree is putting it mildly. He is a terrible man.

Old 05-21-16, 05:35 AM
R
OHHHH, "L" brackets are installed horizontally?

Old 05-21-16, 10:38 AM
C
My stockade fence - used to hide my lawn clipping/leaves/brushpile.

Name:  Fence_edited.jpg
Views: 2974
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  Angle bracket_edited.jpg
Views: 9953
Size:  31.7 KB

Posts are 4X4 PT buried 30" in a 12" diameter hole embedded in 36" of concrete.

Old 05-21-16, 01:32 PM
R
I would prefer to not use concrete--just in case I need to move anything for any reason. If I was going to use concrete then I would have used the postmaster posts which seem so easy--but I dont want to use concrete.

But that should be irrelevant.

My other thought was to use carriage bolts. Do you think the brackets are better? They are certainly easier to install except for the fact that I cant use pre-made sections. So maybe the ease of the brackets is offset by having to make the sections.

What do you think?

Old 05-21-16, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Why not use premade just put panels behind post and screw brackets in. 5 minutes for each panel.

Old 05-21-16, 05:36 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"Normally, what I see is that the panels would go on the neighbor's side of the posts, rails facing my side, and attach them from the neighbor's side."

If that is not a legal mandate, I would put the posts facing his yard (hidden by his fence). Just be sure to stay inside of your property lines.
If the neighbor should ever decide to remove is fence, and a stink was made over yours, you could easily add panels to the back side.

Old 05-22-16, 07:28 AM
R
OK, brackets it is.

Unfortunatley, it is a mandate the neighbors the good side and I get the rails.

But how will those brackets hold into nonPT rails. I guess I can carriage bolt them to the rails before putting them up. then screw them into the posts.

or would screws be fine into the non PT rails?

Either way, I am close to done with the planning here. Alot of overthinking but thanks all -- I am finally settled on a plan.

Old 05-28-16, 08:55 PM
R
ok, I was REALLY overthinking this.

I installed 5 sections today, using the brackets, and it could not have been easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: