Fence noob.. Installing my first.

Old 05-22-16, 06:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Fence noob.. Installing my first.

Building a new home on five acres. I have never installed my own fencing before.. Wheeew. Scared. Here is my plan.. Looking for advice, help, suggetions, etc. the property is sloped and heavily wooded.

Going to fence in the "back yard" (roughly acre or 3/4 of ac) with a cross post style wood fence with a welded wire fence attached behind it. This area is for kids, dogs, guests, bbqs etc. no livestock. Possibly will have greenhouses and or compost area, etc. not sure.. Likely to have multiple gates depending on how i lay out the rest of the property.

Id also like to fence the entire perimeter of the property using metal posts and welded wire fencing. I will use a gate at the driveway recessed to allow me to get off the main road enough with my truck pulling our 32ft camper. Its a ~500ft driveway. Ill use the same type of fencing for livestock areas, but i think all were currently planning on is goats, chickens, and possibly pigs.

The property goes roughly 1500feet back and 500 feet or so across if i remember correctly. Ill have the survey soon.

So where i am coming up short is the material list. Unsure what length posts (wood and metal) to get, what height wire fencing to get, what configuration of wire fence (spacing), what type of wood to get for the backyard fence, when i need to use concrete or not, do i need gravel? Can i get by with a 6" auger on a "handheld" auger powerhead? Lots of questions.

Are there any good how to threads or links i can bury myself in to, to get more prepared?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-16, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Pretty ambitious DIY plan.

I'm not the pro here but I have a few thoughts.

You won't have freezing problems which is a good thing for the posts.
What is the ground like.... sandy, clay, rocky ?
Are you planning to rent a post hole digger ?

Old 05-22-16, 06:39 PM
D
I need to update my location actually. We are east of Atlanta now, in GA.. So we will have the freezing issues.

I had my eyes on this specifically for the project.. Gets good reviews and its fairly inexpensive. Would get it with a 6" bit.

1.5 HP Gasoline Auger Powerhead with 4 in. Bit

I need to determine what the ground is like still. Ill know more this week, as they are excavating right now.

Old 05-23-16, 05:07 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Fence Wire and Posts

For farm fencing, I would use 6.5 ft. steel t-posts driven into the ground. No holes and no concrete. Buy or rent a post driver designed for the task.

2 in x 4 in x 4 ft high welded wire fence fabric should work for the livestock mentioned. If you have cattle, you may want to add a strand of barbed wire above the welded fabric. You will have difficulty getting a good fit of the welded wire fabric over uneven ground since each intersection of the wire is welded. Another popular fence fabric which is easier to stretch over uneven ground is similar to this:

Red Brand Field Fence 1047-6-14 1/2 47"x330' High Tensile French Monarch Knot 70092 by Keystone Consolidated Industries, Inc. for $119.99 in Field Fence - Fence and Wire - Fencing Supplies - Agriculture : Rural King

Come back with more questions. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-23-16, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
For that sized property, buy yourself a good Kubota tractor, with appropriate attachments. Like an auger for starters--that HF toy you linked is what we used to call an arm (or wrist) breaker. The first rock that locks it up will shatter bones in a heartbeat.

Old 06-06-16, 06:19 PM
D
Thanks.. Didnt think of that regarding the auger..

Id love a kubota.. But my budget doesnt allow for it right now. Ill have to rent one unfortunately..

Old 06-06-16, 06:27 PM
D
So 6.5 foot steel posts, 4ft high welded wire fencing.. Assuming im burying 2feet of post, leaving 5" above the fencing. I read i should H brace every 100 feet or so with wooden posts, as well as bracing at corners and gates, correct? What wooden posts would yall recommend? 6.5 ft as well? 4" or 6" or?

Do i need to brace for elevation changes as well.?