Leaning Fence/Gate Repair

Old 07-10-16, 10:56 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaning Fence/Gate Repair

I really need to repair a leaning section of my fence. The previous owner built a long gate and did not provide it with enough support, so it started leaning as seen below:

We are getting rid of that ridiculous rock section (seen in a couple pictures) that the previous owner decided to place in the backyard. We think they parked a boat or something back there. (Removing all the rocks, leveling the dirt with the rest of the yard, and planting grass is another big project itself).

As you can see, this gate section needs stabilized. I have a little experience digging holes for fence posts, but I'm not quite sure where to put the posts, or how many I need for this project.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! If I am missing any information, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Old 07-10-16, 11:09 AM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
At least 90% of the time it's caused from simply not digging the hole deep enough, or the post rotted off.
In your case those post needed to below the frost line.

Old 07-10-16, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First off the bracing of the gates is backwards. It should be from hinge low to hasp high at the angle. That will give support. What you have was bound to sag. Without redesigning the gates, you may be able to install a turnbuckle cable along the same route as the support and tighten it up. As far as swaying, the gates are way too large for that framing. That brings to question, do you need that large of an opening? If not, I would close it in to a point to allow access and build new gates in a proper fashion.

Old 07-10-16, 02:31 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Gate

Do you plan to keep the gate as a functioning gate, or will it be stabilized in place and not be used as a gate?

Edit; Chandler types faster than me.

Old 07-10-16, 03:12 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes. I can't believe I didn't mention this in my first post...which I apologize for.

I no longer want that gate. I am looking to make it permanent and stabilize it completely.

Old 07-10-16, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
OK, I would remove the gate panels and their hardware, sink holes where the panels would meet and install a post or posts to accommodate the spacing, then reattach the gate panels as main run panels to the vertical post(s). Sink your posts deeply enough to give stability. I would also fill the post hole with concrete mix to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: