Correct post size for driveway gate

Old 07-19-16, 05:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Correct post size for driveway gate

I had Lowes install a chain link fence (5ft tall )and driveway gate across the front of my property. The gate is 14ft wide. They used 3" pipe for the posts. It has been about 3 years installed and the post is leaning about 1.5 inches from level with a 4 ft level. My questions are...1. Is 3 inch post the correct size for this application? and 2. If it is the correct size...is this a case where maybe they didn't let the concrete cure before installing the gate and that caused the lean?
I am trying to decide how to fix this before re-installing the automatic gate opener. It would probably work as is but I think it may put undue stress on the mechanical arm of the opener. Should I leave as is? or dig up the post and re hang it on a larger post like maybe 4" in more concrete than they used?

Thanks or responses
Justn

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-16, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
You didn't mention how far into the ground the post/concrete goes. If it is not deep enough, or the ground is poor, that could easily cause it to lean.

Some guy wires from the top of the posts to the ground would likely help a great deal.

Old 07-19-16, 06:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not positive but appears they are in about 2.5 to 3 feet and it is heavy clay soil

Old 07-19-16, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
2.5 - 3' does not seem to be enough for a 14' gate IMO, but I live in the far north where things get much colder. Clay soil also tends to settle a lot which could account for movement.

At 3" I kind of doubt the post is bending unless it very thin wall.

As I mentioned, an easy fix would be to install some guy wires to the top of the posts. Remove the gate and see if the post is plumb. If not, you can then replumb the post, add the guy wires, and install your new gate.