Fence posts for 6ft dog eared fence?

Old 08-20-16, 11:18 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fence posts for 6ft dog eared fence?

I am installing a 6ft fence that will consist of wide dog eared pickets. First, I live in Northern Illinois, how deep/wide should I dig post hole to escape the frost line? Also, I seem to only find 8 or 10 ft 4x4 posts.. How high up does the post need to be above ground for a 6ft fence? I was under the impression 6ft, but I guess it should be fine if not because the pickets will extend the rest. Put where do these post usually stop height wise in relation to the pickets?

Thanks!

Old 08-20-16, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm only going to guess, considering your frost line and the potential for heave, but I would install 10' 4x4 posts, leaving 6' above grade. Your stringers between the posts will be above grade and below the tops of the posts, and your DE's will extend above the 6' point by default, since you will be holding them slightly off grade to keep down water damage, soil build up against the fence and for ease of trimming.

Old 08-20-16, 11:47 AM
E
If I went with the 8ft posts and kept the post below the tips of the pickets, is this not okay then?

Something like this, maybe a little lower to get enough of the post underground:
http://www.fenceutah.com/wp-content/...r-fence-18.jpg

Also, are the 2x4 supposed to be between the posts like the picture or outside the posts? Are the posts usually notched to fit the 2x4s in or do just put the cross 2x4's inside and put nails/screws driven in on an angle?

Old 08-20-16, 11:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
8' posts may not give you the below grade support (2') that you will need in your climate. That picture is a perfect example of what you will want. With 6' exposed, the DE will rest above the stringers just like in the picture, and the bottom will be a few inches off the ground, attached to the bottom stringer.

I would put them between to keep the fence compact, but either way is fine.

Old 08-20-16, 12:44 PM
E
If I did 1/3 of the fence post in the ground then the post would sit up a little over 5ft. Could I just do this, and rest the 6ft pickets up against the stringers and be alright. Seems like it would look close to the picture that way. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: