Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

What Should I install First, Fence or Patio (Pavers)?

What Should I install First, Fence or Patio (Pavers)?

Old 08-30-16, 08:16 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What Should I install First, Fence or Patio (Pavers)?

I am planning to demolish my existing deck that is not secured and replace it with nice Patio. I also need to replace my existing fence that is now in very bad shape. I do not want to waste any effort that is put in this project incase I miscalculate the inter dependencies. I am looking for someone to guide me if I need to install PVC fence first with metal base off course, or should I prepare the ground for the patio first. Here are the list of activities and I am looking for the correct order to identify the order in which they should be done to avoid money and time.
[LIST][*]Demolish Existing Deck[*]Remove existing rocks and old grass from the ground [*]Prepare the land[*]Make drainage for the rain water (Do I Need to consider this factor?)[*]Level the ground[*]Make Fence Post Holes[*]Install the Fence[*]Install the two doors of the fence on each side of the house[*]Put the pavers down[LIST][*]Remove existing concrete block from the side of the house (Walkway) and replace it with pavers[LIST]

I am not sure if there is anything else that I need to consider while installing pavers. Kindly guide me through the activity list that should take place in a certain order

Old 08-30-16, 08:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'd do the patio first so you aren't trying to figure out how to get the patio guys and their equipment in around your new fence.

By the way, pavers are a lot more complicated than your list of items, do you have a more complete list you just didn't post?

Old 08-30-16, 10:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
I agree that the patio should be done first. It will require some excavation, stone and the pavers all of which tend to be weighed by the ton so whoever does the work is going to need good access.

Old 08-30-16, 12:27 PM
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
Remove old fence first. Make access to other areas and projects. Demolish old deck. Level ground, and prepare the ground for patio. When everything is done in the yard erect new fence. But first and foremost call utilities to mark for underground wires, pipes and the like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: