Brick fence problems

Old 03-14-17, 10:14 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick fence problems

We just moved into a home with a brick side wall/ fence. There are a few bricks on the bottom which seemed to have popped out over winter. My husband will re mortar them but we wanted to know if it's ok to put other things under the brick wall space to help support it. Some parts of the wall have a metal support brace the whole way while other parts do not. We put some wood pieces under to keep animals out but we weren't sure if this was ok.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-17, 10:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums Laura!

Pics would help us better understand what you mean - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-14-17, 10:39 AM
L
Brick fence

Here are pictures of one of the bricks and the other wall with a support they put in. We put logs and old bricks under to support.
Some people told us that nothing should be under them.
Picture appear upside

Attached Images   
Old 03-14-17, 10:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The brick is supposed to be supported by a concrete footer. How long of an area is like that? How tall is the gap? I'm not sure what the best fix is but I wouldn't leave it like it is. Ideally the gap would be filled with masonry although I suppose tight fitting pressure treated wood would be better than nothing.

Old 03-14-17, 10:51 AM
L
There is a concrete footer under each section and brick posts every 12 ft. The gap under the each section is 4 -6 inches. These fences look like this everywhere here. One neighbor said put nothing in the gap, it's needed for stability.we weren't sure because we wanted to keep animals out.

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-17, 10:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm a painter, not a mason but it doesn't make sense to me how the brick would stay up without the joints cracking if it isn't all supported by the footer. Not sure how a big gap could make the wall more stable ?? Generally any gap at/near the bottom is for drainage and only 1 brick wide.

We have some members that are masons and a moderator that lives in Texas so check back - hopefully they'll have better answers for you.