Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Looking for Teflon/PTFE/non-stick coating/paint for exterior use

Old 03-18-17, 08:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a couple 3x5 flags mounted on the side of my house, and the winds have torn the flags off the pole (tore the cheap plastic rotating rings on the flag pole). Instead of buying new flag poles with equally cheap plastic rings, i decided to replace the rings with aluminum ones. The aluminum rings I purchased were the only non-plastic alternative i could find. Unfortunately they bind very easily, even with the coat of paint that came on them. My flags are constantly wrapped around the poles. So now i figure my last chance at using these rings would be to coat them in some sort of non-stick spray. Given that these are constantly-moving parts and are exposed to the elements, i can't imagine any sort of spray-on teflon/sillicone lubricant would suffice. It would have to a lubricant that permanently bonds to the aluminum. It also must be dry. No grease or powder can be on my American and POW flags. I'm not finding any such coatings for consumer use online. Is there nothing out there that doesn't require spacial material prep, baking, finishing, etc? My other idea was lubricated bronze washers, but i don't know how well those will work.

Old 03-18-17, 08:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I doubt you will find a paint coating that will stand up to the friction provided by the rotating parts. You may find that a lithium based spray will last longer and will only require recoating once the weather has washed it away. It is white and sticks pretty good.

You may find using copper or bronze tubing that will slip over your pole, held in place with a set screw ring below it to be a solution.

Old 03-18-17, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How long would you expect the lithium spray to last? Multiple rain cycles?

Old 03-18-17, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, it will last a while. Not difficult to re do it with a spray noodle on the can, either.

Old 03-18-17, 02:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I don't think there is a way to prevent the flags from wrapping on the poles no matter how well you lubricate the rings. If you want flags to pivot on the pole without tangling or wrapping I'd consider a rotating frame to hold the flag outstretched so it can't wrap around the pole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: