Replacing wooden 3-rail fence with Vinyl

Old 05-19-17, 11:26 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing wooden 3-rail fence with Vinyl

I have wooden 3-rail fence surrounding my property which I would like to replace with vinyl. I would like to avoid pulling out all my wooden posts. The brand Lowes offered is called "Freedom" and when I contacted Freedom for technical support, I was informed that it is impossible to sleeve the wooden posts with the Freedom vinyl posts, because the Freedom rails require 1.5" each to be inserted using their clips, and sleeving wooden posts only leaves 1" space. Also, the Freedom fencing is designed for 8' between posts, and my fence posts are 10' apart. I have quite a bit of fence.

Is there a vinyl solution that I can use that will allow me to sleeve my existing wooden posts which are 10' apart?

Old 05-20-17, 06:28 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Fence

Is there a vinyl solution that I can use that will allow me to sleeve my existing wooden posts which are 10' apart?
Not likely.

You apparently are trying to save money by wanting to use your existing posts. Any vinyl fencing strong enough to use a 10 foot span will be very expensive.

Old 05-20-17, 07:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I'm surprised that your existing wood fence has a 10' post spacing. I usually drop down to 6' to help keep the horizontals from warping. What are your current posts? Pressure treated 4" x 4", round or something else? If you are really set on keeping your existing posts you'll probably have to build up the fence yourself. Keep in mind that vinyl 4x4 posts are much less than 4x4" on the inside and will not slip over a wood 4x4.

I have a garden area at the top of a retaining wall with a 10' drop and made a custom vinyl fence. All of the vinyl fencing material at the time was quite flexible even in 8' sections. I basically made a steel fence inside the vinyl fence. I put 1 1/2" square 14 ga steel tubing inside the horizontal vinyl rails. In my case the steel is there to make it structurally safe as a safety rail/fence but in your case you may need to do something similar to have any hope of spanning 10'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: