T-Post fence for chickens: corner post question

Old 05-25-17, 02:12 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
T-Post fence for chickens: corner post question

I am planning to install a t-post fence in order to keep our chickens somewhat contained (as well as keep other animals out). But, am not sure what to do for corner posts. I have seen where they are not used, along with plenty of times where they are used. The plan is for the fenced in area to be 20' x 40' with the posts spaced every 10' apart (leaving me with 6 spare posts). Or, 24' x 48x with the posts 8' apart.

I am just not sure what to use for the corners, should I use something like a Wedge-Loc which I believe would use 3 t posts per corner? (the vertical post and 2 x diagonal posts? Or use wooden posts and set them in concrete for each corner? The fence does not need to be pulled incredibly tight, just tight enough to not look like it is falling down!!

Thanks.

Old 05-25-17, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Just curious.... what are you using for fencing and how high is it ?

Old 05-25-17, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are using a t post driver, just drive a post at the proper angle from the corner, on both sides and tie them to your corner post with wire. If you are good with your driving you can lock the t under one of the nibs of your corner post which will keep it tight.

Old 05-25-17, 05:41 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
@pjmax I will be using the previously mentioned t posts, welded wire fencing with hardware cloth along the bottom and a height of 5'

@chandler are you saying to use essentially 3 t posts per corner tied together? Locking the angles ones under nibs on the upright post?

I am slightly leaning towards wood and concrete, but that requires getting it renting an auger along with the supplies. Going with t posts I would just need I think 2 more than what I have already. But, wood posts also make a gate install a little easier.

Old 05-25-17, 07:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You could use wood (round posts or landscape timbers) for the corners, but build them like I mentioned to allow the stress of the wire being stretched to tighten against the angles. Yeah, renting an auger makes for easy work, although not absolutely necessary if you have a post hole digger. Wood would work best for the gate, yes.

Old 05-26-17, 05:57 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Fence

You will discover that stretching welded wire fabric requires lots of force. i suggest 4x4 wood corner posts and adjacent posts with proper bracing. A five foot tall fence will exert lots of force on the top ends of the corner posts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: