Replacing an outdoor iron stair railing

Old 07-08-17, 01:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing an outdoor iron stair railing

My Grandma has a 40 year old iron railing going up her front steps. It completely rusted out at the 2 connection points and came off. There was a connection point at the top and bottom into the top of the concrete stairs. I haven't measured yet, but I think it is a 6-8 foot railing (there are maybe 6-8 steps) and is a straight shot (no turns).

My question is, is there any way to easily DYI replace this with an aluminum or vinyl railing rather than calling someone out? By easy I mean using the existing holes in the concrete and not drilling new holes on the top or side of the stairs, which also seems feasible.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 02:30 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there dirt next to the stoop where you could sink some posts?

Old 07-08-17, 02:41 PM
M
There is dirt, but the top of the stairs is pretty far off the ground.

I was watching a video. I could probably put new posts using anchors over the old holes. I have masonry bits, but don't have a hammer drill so I don't know how hard it would be to drill the holes for the anchors. I also think the old railing extended slightly beyond the attachment points. I should have taken a picture.

Old 07-08-17, 02:50 PM
S
Is the house about 70 years old? It's hard to drill through those stoops & you can't get those wrought iron railings pre-fab. I would try to dig in the dirt first. Maybe you can find posts that are large enough.

Old 07-08-17, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
is there any way to easily DYI replace this with an aluminum or vinyl railing rather than calling someone out? By easy I mean using the existing holes in the concrete and not drilling new holes on the top or side of the stairs, which also seems feasible.
Not a chance. No way new fittings will line up with the old. Railings are fairly easy, but you will have the best results using new holes that are not near the old ones. Grandma would probably love to buy you a hammer drill if it means you would be able to fix it for her. Safety is number one for our dear older ones.

Old 07-08-17, 03:23 PM
M
The house is about 40 years old. The railing was original to the house.

I saw this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEyTAwtACxc) and was thinking I could buy the two posts and mount them over the old holes with 4 anchor screws. Then buy a 6 or 8 foot piece of aluminum railing and cut it to fit between the posts. My concern is drilling into the concrete.

Old 07-08-17, 04:01 PM
S
That video looks doable, if you have the correct drill & bit.