Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Making a simple gate with lattice and mitered butt joint

Old 07-08-17, 06:58 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I'm basically making a simple gate for the patio to replace the old one that was exactly the same but someone cut the angles of the joint slightly off so it never was completely square and the wood is a little rotted and old.

I believe it's made from 4 basic 2x4's joined together at 45 degree angles and then the lattice forms the body of the gate for which instead of wood I'll be using some left over vinyl lattice that I have from making another gate over.

I'm using a "simple square" (I think it's called) to make the 45 degree angles. Is it ok to use my new circular saw to make the 45 degree cuts?

I was going to use long nails to hold the joint together, but is there a better method? After that I'll use some brackets to reinforce the joints.

Should I use wood glue to hold the joints together?

Old 07-09-17, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Glue doesn't always help on the exterior. What type of wood are you using? Screws will hold better than nails.

Old 07-09-17, 07:22 PM
B
Glue doesn't always help on the exterior. What type of wood are you using? Screws will hold better than nails.
Thanks, I think maybe I'll use long screws. I didn't make my 45 degree cuts that great, but it ended up coming out square and I used L brackets to hold it together and filled in the cracks that didn't line up so great with some caulking.

Do you think deck nails would work or should I just go buy some really long wood screws?

I did the 45 degree angles free hand, maybe that why they didn't come out so perfect, but I couldn't get the 2x4's to stay still and I didn't have braces wide enough to affix the pieces to the work bench.

Anyways, it look good for my first try at butt joints and the gate is square and measures the same at all ends. I've gotta affix the vinyl lattice and paint it tomorrow. First though, I've gotta reinforce it with the screws or long nails.

I don't know, but the wood says BURREL I think. I didn't get pressure treated wood because I wanted to just get it painted right away and be done with the thing.

Old 07-10-17, 03:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd go with screws! Since it's not PT wood be sure to use an oil base exterior wood primer, latex is fine for the finish. The oil primer will seal the wood better helping it to repel moisture.

Old 07-10-17, 06:17 AM
B
The oil primer will seal the wood better helping it to repel moisture.
I only have latex primer. It's that one that starts with a Z. How many years will I get with the latex?

Old 07-10-17, 07:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot depends on the weather it receives. Oil base primers do a better job of sealing the wood keeping moisture out although the uncoated joints will be a weak point.

Old 07-10-17, 08:55 AM
B
A lot depends on the weather it receives. Oil base primers do a better job of sealing the wood keeping moisture out although the uncoated joints will be a weak point.
I put caulking on the joints as best I could , but it's not 100% sealed. Is there some type of tape to use over the joints or something?

Old 07-10-17, 10:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Not that I know of, that's why they are usually made out of PT lumber.

Old 07-10-17, 07:58 PM
B
Not that I know of, that's why they are usually made out of PT lumber.
Well if I get a few years out of my gate I'll be happy. It came out real good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: