Gate sag problem

Old 02-03-18, 02:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gate sag problem

I installed this gate this past summer and it has worked beautifully. Now, as we are emerging from winter, I noticed it no longer closes and has sagged. So it doesn't close anymore and makes loud banging noises in the wind. I am pretty sure the gate post is solidly secured in concrete so I doubt whether it is the cause. I see there are solutions that involve turnbuckles, would that help here? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 02-03-18, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,478 Votes on 1,330 Posts
Your gate is properly constructed and looks stout.

When you measure the distance between the edge of the gate (at the hinge) and the hinge side post, is that gap even at the top hinge and bottom hinge?

The most common thing is that the post starts to lean toward the house under the weight of the gate. Being set in concrete doesn't mean much, since all that has to happen is the dirt on the gate side of the post has to compress the tiniest bit for it to lean. All you would need to do is measure between the hinge side post and the latch side post to see if they are parallel or not.

I would bet that if you put a level vertically on the hinge side post (or even the fence corner post for that matter) that those posts are not plumb, but that they are leaning toward the house.

If the post is leaning, I would attempt to right it by opening the gate... place a scrap of 2x4 on each side (to protect the wood from being scratched or dented) then cut a 2x4 to fit between those 2x4 scraps (cut it about 3/4" too long) the drive it down between the 2x4 scraps to spread top part of the gate opening. (Not the bottom, just the top).

Try to close the gate and see if it raised the latch. If it did, you need to put a guy wire with a turnbuckle from the top of the gate post to the bottom of the next post (at the corner). Tighten the turnbuckle while you have the 2x4 braced between helping to force it over. You might also need to force the corner post over with some stakes and bracing temporarily to help right it. Or a steel cable comealong can sometimes be helpful.

Old 02-05-18, 07:26 AM
R
Wow, this is great information, thanks! I will try it and see if I can solve this.

Old 02-05-18, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,478 Votes on 1,330 Posts
You may not have good results fixing this while the ground is frozen... So it might be best to wait until the spring thaw. If the post is plumb and is parallel to the house, post back.

You might also check and see if the board attached to the house has moved. It looks like there is a gap where it attaches to the corner trim. Something there has moved. I also see a crack in the corner trim above the post.

Old 05-03-18, 09:14 PM
S
Also have a sagging gate....

I just replaced a fence and had a similar problem. My post at the end of the fence is supporting a gate perpendicular to the rest of the fence. I believe the post is pulled a bit out of plumb (similarly it is set in concrete, but I'm guessing the soil compacted). Anyway, I was thinking I could use some sort of ground anchor and cable to pull the post (like what is seen with power line poles anchored by wires). I assumed there was probably some sort of kit for this that included wire, anchor, turnbuckle, etc. But I haven't seen this. Does anybody have any suggestions or should I just order all of the parts individually off of Amazon? Or is there a better solution?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: