Gap in Old Fence, Need Advice filling it.

Old 03-16-18, 07:56 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gap in Old Fence, Need Advice filling it.

I share a old leaning fence with a house that is basically abandoned. The whole fence needs to be replaced but so far it's acceptable.

But there is one part of the fence where there are 2-3 boards missing. On the other side is a small tree.

Just the other day, the neighbor's dog the house over from the abandoned house came thru that missing part of the fence and scared my kids. This dog poo's in my front lawn and the neighbors are lazy sob's and don't care but that is a whole different story.

So I want to mend up this hold in the fence. I don't think I can buy boards and put them in because the top horizontal bar is broken off. But could be possible, i just don't know.

The other idea I had is getting a board and instead of lining it up vertically, doing it horizontally on my side. Id' probably need to buy like 4-5 boards then and nail them on my side of the fence to fill the gap.

The gap is 16 - 18 inches approx. The other problem is the right side of the fence protrudes maybe a inch or inch/half from the left side. So not sure if I have to line it up evenly or not to get it to work.

I've attached pictures of the gap. I'll trim the tree that's coming on my side of the fence. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 03-17-18, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can add horizontal 2xs to replace/supplement the broken ones [just screw it to the adjacent fence boards] That way you can install a couple of 1xs to fill in the gap and still have it look decent.

Old 03-17-18, 05:34 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I share a old leaning fence with a house that is basically abandoned. The whole fence needs to be replaced but so far it's acceptable.
You might want to takes steps to contact the owner and get that fixed. You may need to contact the local government.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: