Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

attaching welded wire fence to residential fencing

Old 03-22-18, 01:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Trying to get some help with a project I need to get done with meeting my pool code inspection. I currently have residential aluminum fencing on my property but it doesn't meet codes. I need to attach welded wire fencing which I have researched and close to purchasing. I'm having trouble figuring out how to attach the two. Zip ties won't work in Charlotte NC heat/sun so I'm looking into a wire attachment. Also looking for something black to match the two fence types and rust free.

fence attaching- https://www.wireclothman.com/shop.php?cPath=53
Current fence-attached picture

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Craig

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-18, 01:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I would use black zip ties. They are UV resistant and can survive for many years outside in the elements.

Old 03-22-18, 01:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I don't know if you can get black wire or not but you could take most any galvanized wire, cut them to lengths and spray paint them black.

Old 03-22-18, 02:45 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I would use steel rebar tie wire. Dip in black enamel and let dry.

Old 03-22-18, 03:17 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How about black insulated copper? Learn to make a saddle tie or figure "8" tie to keep the ties from slipping.

Old 03-22-18, 08:37 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
I'd be asking them why it does not meet code?
If the fence is at least 4' high, and the spacing is no more than 4" it should meet code.

Old 03-22-18, 08:45 PM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing because the gate doesn't lock.

The OP lives in Mecklenburger County. They make up most of the rules.

Old 03-22-18, 08:50 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
If that's true then add self closing hinges and a locking latch.
Far less work time and money and look a whole lot better then adding wire fencing!

Old 03-23-18, 05:25 AM
B
It failed due to the horizontal bar at the bottom of the gate. There needs to be 48" of space and that puts it way under. If someone wants to get over my fence they are going to with or without this fencing I now need to install.

The lock did fail as well. I ordered one of those pool gate latches that needs to be above 54". At the time of this fence installation a pool wasn't even talked about in my family. How things change so quickly haha.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I would love to go with the UV zip ties. Getting the wire black on my own is just another step and hassel in my opinion. Worse case the zip ties snap years down the road, then I can figure out something then.

Anyone use these zip ties before and get good results? Was looking at something like this..
https://www.amazon.com/KickSpark-Loc...zip+ties&psc=1

Old 03-23-18, 08:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
I have never used that specific brand zip tie but you're on the right track. You may not even need ones that heavy but going big certainly won't hurt unless you need to cinch together some very small items. Big, heavy duty ties don't cinch down small as well as lighter/smaller zip ties.

Old 03-23-18, 08:58 AM
B
Ok thanks. Yea I'm going to give these a try and see how they look. Figured these would last much longer but like you said they won't cinch down as good.

Old 03-23-18, 11:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
They should cinch down well around the posts and larger frame parts of your existing fence. You could order two sizes and just use what's appropriate for where you want to attach.

Old 03-24-18, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
I have a lot of experience with tie wraps/zip ties outside because of our electric horse tape fencing. I have used both black and white ones, and while the black ones do last longer, they will both fail in a year or two.

The best ones I have found are the "Polyamide straps" from Horseguard. I bought them when I first started installing the fencing and I have yet had one break. Only down side is they can be tough to install and they are about .18 each.