Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

how can i hold up this fence to keep the kids out

Old 05-03-18, 07:33 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts

helping a friend this weekend:

at the rear of the yard is a an area through whih kids come through and dog could get out. slope left to right with the upper left most part being the neighbors wooden fence. the right part has dense brush and is down a hill a bit. i put up chicken wire a few weeks ago but the kids from next door in back keep climbing over to get their ball. this space is about 5 feet wide.

friend doesnt care about looks of new fence so i suggested we just buy a 4 x 4 piece of plywood at the store (the slope etc would make the 6 inches on either side not hospitible for them to try to climb through) and make that the fence. we cannot touch the neighbors fence of course nor use that as a support. however i'm aware such a big piece of wood has a wind load on it. i have no other ideas how to keep the kids out but if this big piece of wood was there i doubt they could climb over it and if they tried to take it down that would be trouble . i think snow fence wouldnt do the job cause they would want to climb over it.

so what kind of posts that lowes sells could i use to keep this up. i dont wanna do anything like post hole digger and back fill etc. i wanna take my sledgehammer and beat something into the ground . i'm guessing id need at least 1 ft below groud and 2 feet above ground as far as a stake?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 08:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
An iron T post is about the only type of post you can install without post hole diggers, not sure how you would attach lumber to that type of post as it's designed for wire fencing.

Old 05-03-18, 09:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I don't know of much that will stop kids that want their ball back. Long, long, long ago I can recall that 8' high chain line and three rows of barbed wire was just a slight inconvenience. A taller fence will help and I'd probably use a wire fencing. The flexibility of the fence might make them think it's not strong enough to climb. If you put of wood the kids will probably think it's strong enough for climbing and go right over.