Cheapest wood privacy fence ideas

Old 07-05-18, 03:31 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cheapest wood privacy fence ideas

by cheapest I mean least expensive way to build a 6 wooden dog ear privacy fence. Instead of buying the 6x8 panels for $40 a piece. Any suggestions to reduce cost? Ive looked at buying the pickets individual and and doing it that way but still a lot of money Ive got about 500 to do just fishing for ideas thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-18, 03:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
The cheapest wood you can get that will hold up is PT pine. You can buy the fence boards and framing separately and if the terrain is uneven that might be the best way to go but if your land is level I can't imagine it being worth it to not buy the pre assembled panels. Your time has to be worth something!

Old 07-05-18, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Darn...you had to go and put conditions on it. I was gonna suggest pallets...but that probably wouldn't have much visual appeal.......

You'll just have to shop around and watch for sales...HD and Lowe both give military discounts if that would help. Lumber yards will probably be cheaper initially. Will you be picking it and hauling it yourself or having it delivered and returning the bad stuff. Stick built will likely give you a better longer lasting product...but then you'll need to factor time and labor in. Will it be built manually or would you buy or rent a gun and compressor to put it up? Is their even power available?

Could you do the posts and stringers then come back and do the pickets to spread the cost out?

Old 07-05-18, 05:55 PM
H
Yeah Ill be picking up materials myself I have a cargo trailer and I have all tools necessary I do home improvements when possible as a side job for extra money to spend on my hobbies.. Ive pretty much have thought about ideas yall have given. Just seeing if Im missing an option. I like the post and stringer idea the best because I could get away with about 10 between post on long runs and buy 2x? PT and rip it to desired width. I guess Im just wondering if yall knew some other places to get the PT pickets right now they are about $1.60- $1.80 a piece multiply that by 1000 to do 500 of fence $1600-$1800 just for pickets ouch not cool theyll go on sale eventually to maybe $1.40 ?? Im just sick of lumber prices!! Then try to find 1000 of them in decent shape good luck

Old 07-05-18, 05:58 PM
H
I forgot to say thanks for your thoughts I do appreciate it!! We all need these threads to work smarter and save a few bucks when possible thanks again

Old 07-05-18, 06:06 PM
H
Oh and to gun guy the pallet idea is why Im putting this fence sooner than I planned. Because my next door neighbor just did that they payed pallets side by side drove rebar to hold it up!!!! To try and keep there damn dog from seeing us and barking. Genius idea NOT he can still here me as soon as I crack the slider door and its all day he barks at the wind a Doberman as well. AND THE PALLETS LOOK GHETTO!!

Old 07-06-18, 02:03 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Well, this is a wood idea, but it is live wood, aka hedge row. As for reasonable in price you can check with your local state forestry department to see if they make rooted cuttings available. Yes, they take a few years to get going but eventually they can provide a full visual barrier for that 500' and at a fraction of the cost of any other approach. Heck, if you can find some shrubs that need trimming you can root your own.

Story: Years back my wife picked up a dozen or so rooted trees and bushes but never planted them. I was way beyond busy so just healed then into some dirt back in the tree line where they were forgotten. Fast forward 20 years and I'm looking at that treeline and wondering what I'm seeing. What caught my eye were the orange berries from a mountain ash (I think) but upon inspection, I think everything I healed in survived, lol. The Norway pines were over 15' tall. Unfortunately they are veru clustered together but it was a good lesson.

Bud

Old 07-06-18, 02:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
The nice thing about hedges or trees is you never have to spend money on cleaning and staining. I used to drive past a house that had a pallet fence in the front. Looked like it was used to contain a toddler. It was only there about 5 yrs - I don't know if it fell down or if the need was no longer there.

Old 07-06-18, 05:26 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Just thinking about how I would deal with a neighbor who put up a pallet fence. In many communities they have guidelines where a fence with a good side and an ugly side, the good side must face the neighbor. In this case both sides are ugly so might require a code office opinion.

Does their barking dog run the full length of that 500' or would a shorter section of stockade fence work for a temporary time frame?

Also, if constant barking is an issue best to start a record of complaints if you haven't.

Bud