Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

How to install rail post on sloped concrete ramp?

How to install rail post on sloped concrete ramp?

Old 08-10-18, 08:25 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to install rail post on sloped concrete ramp?

I have 50-feet of concrete sidewalk with 16-feet of concrete ramp at the end. I will be installing aluminum rail panels & post the full length. My question is about how to install the posts on the ramp.

The ramp pitch is about 1:10, and if I attach the post plates flat on the concrete, the posts will be about 6-degrees from vertical. I'm considering making a wedge shim matching the footprint of the post base about 1/2" thick, tapering to a point, for each post. This will make the posts vertical but I haven't yet thought of a way to do that with a clean looking result.

Surely some of the great minds here have dealt with this before. How would you attach a post plate to a ramp?

Old 08-10-18, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I'm guessing you already have the posts with the attached plates ?
Otherwise I'd core drill the concrete and recess the poles.
You could take the poles to a welder and have him cut the plates off and re-welded at the proper angle.

Old 08-11-18, 07:42 AM
E
This is an update with additional info. I have the posts.

Here's a screen shot from the install instructions:

My basic CAD drawing showing the problem:

Here's a link to the Menards page where they're sold:
https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...1870524537.htm

And finally, a link to the manufacturer's page (Williams Architectural Products) where they have nice detailed install instructions and a few install videos:
https://williamsrail-fence.com/insta...l-instructions

Last edited by EvenSteven; 08-11-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-11-18, 07:48 AM
E
Pjmax, The posts are thin aluminum - I think TIG welding would be dicey. I added an update with a picture and links to the seller and manufacturer sites.

Old 08-11-18, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I have installed those before. Your best bet will be to cut a shim from something that won't rot. Like pvc trim (azek) or a composite deck board.

you could also buy an aluminum post and use a miter saw to cut a sliver of a shim at your angle and set it under the post before you anchor it down. For minor adjustments, use 1/4" flat washers under the post base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: