Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Advice on type of redwood for 3ft. Privacy fence

Old 11-24-18, 11:11 AM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what type of redwood should I use for outdoor fence? Itís a 3 foot high fence made framed with redwood and corrugated steel roofing panels. How much space should I leave between the wood and the corrugated metal sheets at the edges?

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-18, 12:24 PM
Received 998 Likes on 907 Posts
Redwood and cedar have different grades but it's more of an appearance, and price that defines the grades. Being a fence you probably can live with a few knots vs using clear.

Installation would be an 1/8" of a gap all the way around with stops on either side to hold the panels in place.

Old 11-24-18, 12:54 PM
I
So any redwood is fine ? I donít need pressure treated?

So any redwood is fine ? I donít need pressure treated?

Old 11-24-18, 12:57 PM
I
Mendocino Forest Products 2 in. x 4 in. x 8 ft. Construction Heart S4S Dry Redwood Lumber

or-

2 in. x 4 in. x 8 ft. Construction Common Redwood Lumber

I used some of each and love the look. Just wondering if Thatís a good way to go, and/or if there is a better way(pressure treated)? Thanks
???

Old 11-24-18, 01:29 PM
T
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
I use the heart wood for rot resistance if it is going into the ground. I'm fine with common for the rails. If the fence is going to be a focal point of a patio I might use heart if the costs weren't prohibitive, it's a matter of what the look is that you are going for. I dislike the look of pressure treated that I can get locally.

What's the blue flooring????

Old 11-24-18, 02:43 PM
Received 998 Likes on 907 Posts
So any redwood is fine ? I don’t need pressure treated?

Redwood is untreated where as PT wood is pine with chemicals injected to reduce rot.

As far as I know there is no such thing as pressure treated red wood, or cedar.

Not as familiar with red wood but cedar is priced by the grade, there is a big difference between the clear and knotty grades, it's a personal preference!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: