Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Is there anyway to make a vinyl post and rail more private, dogs on each side???

Is there anyway to make a vinyl post and rail more private, dogs on each side???

Old 12-27-18, 12:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We have a vinyl post and rail fence with the wire fencing on the inside. We just had new neighbors just move in and installed the same fencing.

The fence is 4 foot high with posts 8 feet apart and has 3 rails.
There is a space between both fences about 4 feet to get our mowers thru, however our dogs and their dogs bark at each other and run the entire fence run back and forth.

My question is this, is there anything we can add to our fence to block out the site between both fences? My wife wants to rip it all down and do privacy but I feel that is NOT the best route especially on my wallet..... It's nearly a half acre......

So Right now I have the green 4 foot wire fencing screwed inside the post and rail. Is there another option we could look at to put on the one side of our fence to help block the view of the other dogs?

Appreciate any suggestions. Our dogs have always been fence dogs and our prior neighbors would allow their dogs to roam their property. Nothing wrong with that, however if our dogs were out, the other dogs on the other side of our fence, would charge our fence making our dogs stand their ground. I never agreed on this but now when they see new dogs next door, they are loosing their minds barking at them because they are expecting them to charge our fence like the prior neighbors dogs did. I guess our dogs can't tell that the neighbors dogs are behind their own fence now. Maybe it will take them some time to get used to each other. They moved in about three weeks ago and we avoid leaving our's out while theirs are out. However, lately they've been leaving them out for extended periods of time. We let ours out to do their business then bring them back in.

Not sure what to do....
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-18, 02:02 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
A privacy fence won't eliminate the problem. The dogs will know that each other are there. A privacy fence may help but will not stop the barking. Both you and your neighbor need to properly train the dogs not to bark. OR let them become friends and mingle together. If they are willing to get along! If the barking continues you and your neighbor must bring the dogs indoors or possibly face a disturbance of the peace from other residence. I know if I were a neighbor and either your or your neighbor let the barking continue I would call the authorities.

Do not try to prevent the other dog from barking, only concern yourself with your own.

Last edited by Norm201; 12-27-18 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 02:14 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Install an electric fence closer in so your dogs don't get near the fence/other dogs. Convince your neighbor to do the same.

Old 12-27-18, 02:49 PM
S
Norm our dogs are Not let out at any length of time to allow them to disturb any peace! Itís when we let them out and if the neighbors dogs are out also itís game on! We only let them out to do their business then bring them back in. However the neighbors are letting their dogs out for hours at a time which is their business. So itís hard for us to leave ours out at the same time this the ruckus!

i think the point was missed that the prior neighbors dogs would charge our fence to get at our dogs! Our dogs had full right to stand their ground since they are behind their own fence! I supported them doing so!

Our dogs are boxers and stubborn so getting along with the neighbors isnít an option at this point!

Ill figure something out out but wanted to know if there are or is anything I Can add to our fence to block the dog level view of the other side without killing the look of the post and rail.

thanks

Old 12-27-18, 03:56 PM
If that is your stand, then the only option is as Mossman suggested.

I understand that your neighbor is the new comer and his dog is "starting" the problem. Try talking to your neighbor. Do they realize the problem? If they balk or act insulted then you must adjust to the situation. Or you can report them, but it's your dog that's making the commotion (unless you can substantiate that their dog is a menace or making lots of noise). How is that their fault.

Defending your dog as to standing his ground is non-sense, he is not being accused of disturbing the peace. YOU ARE because of your dogs stance and being allowed to be "aggressive". And you are the one accusing yourself of disturbing the peace because of your dogs barking! I know I'm being harsh, but just because your old neighbor's dog did not cause a problem, and the fact that the new neighbor is "new" does not make you king of your neighborhood!

Your dog only goes out to do his business, and that's the only time a problem occurs. So does that mean that your neighbor can't keep his dog outside for extended periods of time, in an enclosed area safe from other dogs and people? Maybe his dog requires being outside for long periods of time. Or that is how they brought him up. They have that freedom.

Sorry to sound so hard boiled, but I've been down that road, both ways. You control your own dog, not others peoples dogs.

Mossmans suggestion of the electric fence sounds like a inexpensive solution and a way of keeping the peace between neighbors.

Side note...I have a long standing and friendly neighbor who recently got an ankle biter. Every morning they let that rug rat out and let him bark his fool head off for about a half hour before taking him in. Annoying, but I'm up at that hour anyways, It doesn't bother me. But I'm betting a few of the other neighbors will be saying something soon.

Old 12-27-18, 04:42 PM
S
Norm you seem to be so far off based and not hard boiled. Either "I" didn't explain properly or from your own experiences you are NOT getting MY point.

"Defending your dog as to standing his ground is non-sense, he is not being accused of disturbing the peace. YOU ARE because of your dogs stance and being allowed to be "aggressive". And you are the one accusing yourself of disturbing the peace because of your dogs barking! I know I'm being harsh, but just because your old neighbor's dog did not cause a problem, and the fact that the new neighbor is "new" does not make you king of your neighborhood!"

Yes I am the KING of my property. If my dogs are INSIDE my fence and someone else's DOGS charge MY fence, My dogs are 100% Allowed to Stand their ground! They are INSIDE THEIR FENCE! ON MY PROPERTY! Sorry, there is no discussion around that. Period. I pay for my property and I can assure YOU that if you had the same thing happening you would very feel the same exact way. Would it be OK if someone else's dog entered your fence and bit your kid or your dog? I would hope to think, NOT.

Now the charging of the fence is no more since those owners moved. However Their dogs are very quite and YES my dogs bark and get excited when they see their dogs. The point you are missing is the fact that for three years MY dogs had to deal with other dogs charging their fence!.

My dogs are not an issue. We have dogs on the other side of the fence and they leave them alone. So, when the neighbors dogs are out and I let mine out, theirs come to their fence and start barking, thus mine return the bark. Our whole block has dogs. Dogs bark., I can see if we let them out for hours on end and they barked. Not the case that you are stating.

I'm not looking at this as a "Measuring Contest" I was simply asking on this forum is there anyway to block out the one side of My fence in hopes to block the views on that side for the dogs, and I mean both my dogs and theirs. Are there any options? I should have just asked "that" since now this has turned into a pet forum discussion. Sorry.

I'll check around on other forums.

Old 12-27-18, 04:50 PM
S
Norm for the record the old neighbor DID cause the problem it was their loose dogs that would charge our fence! Not mine! So letís set that straight!

Now when my dogs see see other dogs running towards our fence they react!

Old 12-27-18, 05:00 PM
You may be king of your property but not the neighborhood. Who is complaining? You or the new neighbor?

Your complaint, your dog, your responsibility to solve the problem. You were given several options. The electric fence seems to be the best solution under the circumstances as you portray them.

To answer your original question, you can put wood along side the fence, cardboard, woven vinyl or whatever. It won't stop the problem. Dogs don't need eyes to know if another dog is there, especially a new dog in the neighborhood.

Let me soft peddle a little bit here. I assume you are a long standing member in your neighborhood. And I'll assume the new neighbor plans on being a long stand member also (even if it does not work out that way). You'll live with your neighbors many, many years, perhaps 30 or 40. Dog only live about 10 to 15 years, if that long. I would do a lot more to preserve the peace and good will with a neighbor than letting a dog thing cause a resentment among neighbors. With that in mind you must solve the problem, with or without your next door resident cooperating.

And that is in fact what you are trying to do. I commend you for that. And we as a forum have made recommendations.

Old 12-27-18, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,108 Votes on 1,028 Posts
So Right now I have the green 4 foot wire fencing screwed inside the post and rail. Is there another option we could look at to put on the one side of our fence to help block the view of the other dogs?
The only thing I can think of that won't look hideous is fence weave.
Fence weave

Actually..... I've seen a black screen put around jobsites to keep the dirt in.
That may be another choice.

Old 12-28-18, 01:26 AM
S
Thanks PJ That just might work.

Old 12-28-18, 01:34 AM
S
You may be king of your property but not the neighborhood. Who is complaining? You or the new neighbor?

Your complaint, your dog, your responsibility to solve the problem. You were given several options. The electric fence seems to be the best solution under the circumstances as you portray them.

To answer your original question, you can put wood along side the fence, cardboard, woven vinyl or whatever. It won't stop the problem. Dogs don't need eyes to know if another dog is there, especially a new dog in the neighborhood.

Let me soft peddle a little bit here. I assume you are a long standing member in your neighborhood. And I'll assume the new neighbor plans on being a long stand member also (even if it does not work out that way). You'll live with your neighbors many, many years, perhaps 30 or 40. Dog only live about 10 to 15 years, if that long. I would do a lot more to preserve the peace and good will with a neighbor than letting a dog thing cause a resentment among neighbors. With that in mind you must solve the problem, with or without your next door resident cooperating.

And that is in fact what you are trying to do. I commend you for that. And we as a forum have made recommendations.

Norm no one is complaining. No one in the 10 years I've lived here has Ever complained. Not quite sure where that even came from? I think you took the conversation kind of off course with that, but I get it. I am an upstanding neighbor and I respect all and their rights to their own property. My issue is I want to reduce as much tension for the dogs not the people.

I want to be able to let my dogs out while the neighbors are out with as little commotion as possible on either side and I'm willing to absorb the cost to do this with the fence changes.

Let's be 100% clear. Even when the prior neighbors, the key here is PRIOR, they moved, and they let their dogs run loose on their property. No matter how many times their dogs charged OUR Fence, I never got nasty nor complained. They apologized numerous times and I replied "Hey, you're allowed to have dogs" Keep in mind when their dogs would charge MY Fence, their dogs are now over my line by 20" and attempting to get their noses under my fence. My dogs are still well contained inside their own fence. As you can clearly see, well I hope, this drives my point at my Dogs standing "Their" Ground. Two other dogs are over my property line, sticking their noses under our fence barking and nipping. My Dogs are on their side of their fence. That description doesn't make me "King of anything", it does however allow my dogs to be kings of their property.

So with that said,NO one is complaining, No one is allowing their dogs to bark all hours of any days. I'm just looking for a way to add something to my "Existing" Fence that is not absurdly ugly or such that could help block the view a bit.

Sorry I've owned dogs my entire life and I Know for a fact even though they will know they are there, if they can not see them clearly in full line of sight, they will eventually blow them off and seem to ignore. I've witnessed it.

My last reply around anything Dog related.